Southwood Subdivision?

Ms. Pris

I'm a lifelong Houstonian shopping to buy my first home. I've lived most of my adult life in Montrose, but 4 years ago moved to the Heights for the lower rent and a big yard. I find the Heights a little too quiet and inactive for my taste.

My partner and I have narrowed our choices down to two homes: one in Mason Park, one in Southwood. Southwood is in 3rd Ward and I don't know much about that subdivision at all. The home is beautiful, with many recent improvements. But I would like to learn more about the neighborhood before buying. Any info out there? I love the Mason Park fixer, but the Southwood house is much closer to museums and other activities I enjoy.

We have visited both houses on weekends and found that in Mason Park, families were out and about and in Southwood, the streets and yards were empty. Southwood does seem to be well kept-up though. Thoughts?

is southwood off of scott? if it's the hood i'm thinking about, i believe they go all out with the christmas lights. i would look at crime stats between the two areas here. I live one neighborhood south of mason park in pecan park and enjoy it cause i'm close to retail, have easy access to 610/45/225, live near ingrando and mason parks and near a library. it's a very good location IMO.

When I think of Southwood I see it as the same as the surrounding areas - it's a hit or miss block by block (though honestly the closest I've lived is Binz).

Back in the day (late twenties/early thirties) it was in the boonies!

southwood_06261928.jpg

southwood_05251930.jpg

southwood_06081930.jpg

southwood_06221930.jpg

You may want to consider Eastwood as well. There have been some good deals popping up over the past couple of months. I've got some clients that have lived in the area for several years and have been very happy. You can find some excellent bungalows with a lot of character. The proximity to town is great as well.

Sevfiv, where did you find those old ads? They're really interesting to read.

Southwood has some great old houses, given its origins as an upper-middle class neighborhood. Back in the day, several noted Houston architects lived in the area, including William Ward Watkin, Alfred C Finn, and Maurice Sullivan. John Staub also bought a lot in the neighborhood, but ended up building his house in River Oaks.

I looked at a few houses in Southwood, but the neighborhood never felt very safe to me. I drove through it at night, and that experience pretty much killed any desire I had to live over there.

I also looked at a house on Smallwood in Mason Park (it's still for sale). The neighborhood felt a lot safer, and it seems to have more going for it, given the proximity to the newly-improved park and bayou trail. The house was ok too; it needed some work, but nothing too major. It had a comfortable floor plan and a nice yard. The house behind it is also for sale for lot value; you could buy it, tear it down, and have a huge backyard. I kind of regret not buying that house, but my daily commute to the Energy Corridor would have ended up being too long.

Norhill: We did look at Eastwood, and it was in our top list of neighborhoods, but actually it seems that Mason Park is nicer, at least in our price range. I do love the idea of livig in Third Ward, because of the closeness to everything, and the neighborhood is beautiful. But I am aware that some areas are hostile to non-blacks moving in, and at this moment it looks like Mason Park is the better investment. I am especially looking forward to how the East End grows after the 2010 census is in.

Sevfiv: thanks for posting those old fliers, they are so cute! So funny to think that was the boonies. How our city has grown!

Musicman: yeah, I saw some junky-looking apartments over there and they were definitely a concern.

They were in Houston Gargoyle magazine (our version of the New Yorker but it only ran from 1928-1932).

On a side note, I think it would be a great periodical to resurrect!

Ms. Pris: no problem! This is the first time I've seen the neighborhood mentioned - the ads were just collecting figurative dust!

Archived