Galveston Hitting It Off

I personally think the architect did a great job. You can tell that he probably was thinking of ocean waves when he made it. That's true art.

With that said, anyone seen these in person?

The left side of the balcony railing is a concrete wall. If you are sitting inside, that will give you a view of that wall and not the water. I thought that was an odd detail when you are trying to sell the view. I agree with you that the shape of the building is interesting.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks great up close. It's actually a nice light green.

The balconies don't appear to be a problem.

Much better than the new obstructed views from the new causeway.

Oh, I think this building is so pretty. A nice light green, perfect for the coast. Galveston is really looking good. One really great thing, the condo towers in Galveston are new or nearly new which is much better than in many beachfront areas. My guess is that they are also a bargain which will encourage investors.

What I think what will Give Galveston a bost is an Aquarium. Sheed Aquarium in Chicago or New England Aquarium in Boston are nice ones to get ideas from. It cant just be some cheap looking one thron on the beach but State of the Art, big and spacious, Interesting Attractions not just that little kid stuff like at Space Center Houston more than one age group in Texas, and put it on the water not just make it water front. Some time ago I was watching a Special on Aquariums in the U.S. on PBS it showed the aquariums in chicago, Boston,& Honolulu and much more, these were the ones that stuck out and I went to the one in Honolulu, the Waikiki Aquarium, its was very cool maybe because the beach was CLEAN and the water was BLUE and not BROWN! Those aquariums attract people from all over America and if they build one in Galveston and build it right it could to. Galveston cant keep thinking just because its an Island people will keep coming any more because its needs to get clean, or just allow gambling. I dont understand why gambling is not allowed in Galveston because it is an ISLAND or any where else on the Texas Coast for that matter. Gambling is a money maker when will the Texas Gov. see that

What I think what will Give Galveston a bost is an Aquarium. Sheed Aquarium in Chicago or New England Aquarium in Boston are nice ones to get ideas from. It cant just be some cheap looking one thron on the beach but State of the Art, big and spacious, Interesting Attractions not just that little kid stuff like at Space Center Houston more than one age group in Texas, and put it on the water not just make it water front. Some time ago I was watching a Special on Aquariums in the U.S. on PBS it showed the aquariums in chicago, Boston,& Honolulu and much more, these were the ones that stuck out and I went to the one in Honolulu, the Waikiki Aquarium, its was very cool maybe because the beach was CLEAN and the water was BLUE and not BROWN! Those aquariums attract people from all over America and if they build one in Galveston and build it right it could to. Galveston cant keep thinking just because its an Island people will keep coming any more because its needs to get clean, or just allow gambling. I dont understand why gambling is not allowed in Galveston because it is an ISLAND or any where else on the Texas Coast for that matter. Gambling is a money maker when will the Texas Gov. see that

Moody Gardens, or Schlitterbahn maybe? :blink:

Galveston IS brown water/sand, that's her! At what point do we "own" and embrace that (in some sort of positive light), and it become a part of this town's identity? It's not changing any time soon.

New Orleans doesn't apologize for its filth. Hell, I wouldn't want to see the place any other way.

Moody Gardens, or Schlitterbahn maybe? :blink:

Galveston IS brown water/sand, that's her! At what point do we "own" and embrace that (in some sort of positive light), and it become a part of this town's identity? It's not changing any time soon.

New Orleans doesn't apologize for its filth. Hell, I wouldn't want to see the place any other way.

Galveston aint no New Orleans!!!!!!!! People dont go to New Orleans for the water. They have gambling. And there Mradi Gras is not falling off the face off the earth, and what was up with the Beach Party this year? Moody Gardens is fun and it gets some cool attractions but its old, Schlitterbahn is new and fun and those two are getting the island back to a regional destination and along with all the new developments. Galveston is not back at that level yet and I want something that will make it a national destination not just regional. This island has some competition in texas now and it better watch out for S. Padre and Corpus Christi.

Galveston aint no New Orleans!!!!!!!! People dont go to New Orleans for the water. They have gambling. And there Mradi Gras is not falling off the face off the earth, and what was up with the Beach Party this year? Moody Gardens is fun and it gets some cool attractions but its old, Schlitterbahn is new and fun and those two are getting the island back to a regional destination and along with all the new developments. Galveston is not back at that level yet and I want something that will make it a national destination not just regional. This island has some competition in texas now and it better watch out for S. Padre and Corpus Christi.

My point is that if New Orleans can capitalize or embrace on something that can be changed, Galveston should be able to do the same with something it can not, (ie mother nature). Moody Gardens is constantly expanding its attractions. The only thing Galveston is lacking as far as becoming a national destination is advertisement. I don't see any Galveston commercials on TLC or the Travel Channel. I agree that gambling would help, but wouldn't Galveston just become a regional gambling attraction without national exposure?

My point is that if New Orleans can capitalize or embrace on something that can be changed, Galveston should be able to do the same with something it can not, (ie mother nature). Moody Gardens is constantly expanding its attractions. The only thing Galveston is lacking as far as becoming a national destination is advertisement. I don't see any Galveston commercials on TLC or the Travel Channel. I agree that gambling would help, but wouldn't Galveston just become a regional gambling attraction without national exposure?

I think you are right. When I read those in flight magazines on the airplane I see S. Padre all up and through and one or two about Galveston and it is for High Rise Living on the Beach. I still believe if the Big Island wants to make it on The Travle Channle it needs that next big thing. I love this island It was the only beach I knew Texas had for a while when I was Younger, I just want to see it live up to its full Potential.

You are so right. Since I've been coming to galveston in the last year I think it has a lot to offer. But no product will sell without marketing and advertising. It makes me wonder if the city doesn't want that kind of growth so it is purposely not promoting it any more. It's almost like they have said " we achieved a lot, and it's just right for us now, so let's not change it."

With Houston so close it is a natural place to visit since travel logistics to Houston are so easy and plentiful.

You are so right. Since I've been coming to galveston in the last year I think it has a lot to offer. But no product will sell without marketing and advertising. It makes me wonder if the city doesn't want that kind of growth so it is purposely not promoting it any more. It's almost like they have said " we achieved a lot, and it's just right for us now, so let's not change it."

With Houston so close it is a natural place to visit since travel logistics to Houston are so easy and plentiful.

The Endeavour Condos publish a very slick quarterly magazine to primarliy advertise their locations in Clear Lake and soon in Galveston. You can request a free subscription via their web site endeavourcondo.com. I've also seen it in businesses along the Strand.

Don't forget that the old golf course is in the midst of a $14 million renovation and will be ready to play by Feb-March. It will now be called the Moody Gardens Golf Course on Galveston Island. It is located off of 99th Street and Stewart Road, near the airport. Evia is located across the street and will have a new coffee house and park for kids open by the end of the summer. So, there are many exciting things happening, especailly in the area of attractions that are being discussed here.

Just a note: One of the Resorts in Galveston is advertising the "golden sand" of Galveston. Sounds good to me. Black sand in Hawaii, tan colored sand in California, white sand in Pensacola why not Golden sand in Galveston? Can't remember the resort right now, but I thought it was a clever description.

Your absolutly right. You can't change the water...but you sure as hell can rake the beaches and clean the place up a bit. The first thing you see when you get to the island is a bunch of run down houses mixed in with the old historical homes. The island is nasty and frankly I think the city council are proud of it. The Cruise Ship terminal sits next to an industrial park. That's real picturesque. For me, the high rise hotels are awesome, Moody Gardens is awesome and the water park is awesome. However, the beaches are not, the water is not, it's run over with filth, everywhere you look there seems to be a grave yard, and the island is full of industry.

Now the island could change it's image if they'd sweep the streets and clean the beaches. I just want to be clean...not urbanized. I think a good spring cleaning would do the island wonders. I'll give Galveston another couple of years. They are trying I guess. However Galveston should not look to Houston for ideas for tourism. God knows, Houston is not at the top of anybody's "places to see" list. What's here...NASA?? The Gallaria? Come on now.

I'm not sure which resort is doing the 'golden sand', but Diamond Beach at the West end of the sea wall is planning to import white sand for their beach. I'm signed up to buy one of their condos, and a letter last September stated such regarding the sand. Perhaps some other new resorts will do the same, and they can keep the beach of front of their properties cleaned up.

• The title was changed to Galveston Hitting It Off

Archived