Construction On Studewood St.

Hi,

Just curious about the Studewood Street Construction.  Are they widening the street?...and does anyone know when the construction will be done?

Thanks!

I don't think they are widening....I think mainly they're redoing the utilities under the street (storm sewer), putting in sidewalks w curb cuts, and re-paving.

No widening is planned. Studewood and much of the Woodland Heights area will be seeing streets ripped up soon for storm sewer upgrades. It's part of the city's CIP program.

The improvements are much needed, but I advise the residents to be vigilant in watching the construction for anything unsual.

Also, people in the heights that want to preserve the mosaic street corners need to pay attention. The city seems to have no problem in helping save these, but you have to keep on top of them and voice your concerns. Alert your civic organization and community members. It is possible that these curb details will disappear in some of the areas where the improvements are made.

Good point on the mosaics, KJB. The city is generally helpful in preserving them; it's the contractors doing the work that one needs to keep his or her eye on . . . either because they don't appreciate their significance, or they just get in a hurry, or they don't care. . .

• 3 months later...

I'm new to this site. Wish I'd found it ages ago. We moved up to NE Texas a year ago and still have property on Studewood that has not sold. I have to think it's the street construction. Does anybody know if property owners can get a tax break because of this? The property was our business/home so it has all kinds of potential. The realtor says that drivers avoid Studewood like the plague, so that's why there has been no action. From the posts I've read today, it seems as tho that area is pretty "up and coming." Any advise for us? Really would appreciate any feedback.

Hang tight. Studewood is supposed to be finished by the end of the year, although it looks like it will be early next year. Once it is done, Studewood will be all concrete with new curbs and gutters. It will be the nicest street in the Heights. That will boost your buyers' interest, and therefore, your selling price.

I live a couple of blocks away. I don't avoid it, but you can only drive one way on it, so I am sure many people do avoid it.

• 3 months later...

I drove on the new section yesterday afternoon for the first time. It looks great, especially the treatments to the curbs and the driveways. After a year+ of seeing a bunch of mud the recent rapid (visible) progress is refreshing.

I have to admit however that it did feel a little bumpier than I would expect for a brand new concrete road. But, I'll take it.

Reconstruction of Studewood allowed replacement of a badly deteriorated thoroughfare as well as placement of higher capacity storm water drainage pipe. Your car's suspension will thank you and your house will be less likely to flood.

Oxford's closing increases the size of the Reagan High campus and allows safe use of the lot east of Oxford by students without crossing a street. However, it is somewhat annoying if you used to use that street.

I overestimated the time till they open the new Studewood. It was open today! Very nice. :rolleyes:

• The title was changed to Studewood St. Construction
  • The title was changed to Construction On Studewood St.