First Post On This Forum...moving Home

Hey Y'all...this is my first post on this forum. I am glad that I found it though. Very cool website that covers so much info...neighborhoods, urban density/sprawl and decay/exploration...way cool!

So I grew up in NW Houston...more specifically in the shadow of what was then Compaq Computer...up the road at N. Eldridge (was Addicks Fairbanks for a long time) and Louetta rd. Moved to Austin in 95 for college at UT. In 2000 ended up in Houston for a year again...then moved to Washington DC (specifically between Petworth and Columbia Heights) for a year. After that I moved back to Austin and have been here since. So basically off and on in Austin for a decade.

Anyways, I own a recording studio here in Austin as well as a record label. Well, Austin has been changing for the past 5 years...some in a good way...some in a bad way. I have decided to close my studio here and move back to Houston.

I am trying to find a studio to work out of, or a job at a community college/universtiy doing audio work. However, what I really want to do is re-open my studio in Houston. I figured the real estate forum would be the best place for this...but I might (assuming the admins dont mind) post it in the "other Houston" section too.

So, I am looking for property to buy to put my studio in. However, there is a catch. My brother and I also restore classic cars and we are looking for a place to do this at...like a warehouse. So we thought we could kill two birds with one stone and find a warehouse/industrial building...stand alone, maybe 2-5000 sq. ft. that has at least one overhead garage door, but also with either an already built out office area or something similar. The actual built out part where I would put the studio would only have to be 1000 sq. ft. at a minimum.

We would love for this to be in one of these areas (but will consider others): Heights, Montrose, Oak Forest, Spring Branch.

I was thinking that an old Fire Station...or some sort of warehouse used for fabrication would be great. Its so hard to find a concise listing of properties in Houston (or I havent come across it).

We are hoping to spend $100-150k.

And anyone that might know of some jobs recording music or managing a studio for a school...PLEASE let me know!

There are several links in my sig that show my businesses and some demo stuff. Feel free to contact me at david@republicstudios.com

Thanks!

David

Welcome back. Have you tried searching CommGate? http://commgate.com

It lists commercial properties in the Houston area.

EDIT: Property 11065 is $139,921. It's not in the areas you listed, but it is on the side of town you used to live on -- off of Jones Rd.

This auto service has a built in paint booth. There are five stalls that open for auto repair. The tenant is on a month to month basis paying 1400 per month.This building could be converted and used for other businesses also.There is a section for living quarters and office space included in this square footage. (4,752 sq. ft.)

Thanks! I did try commgate...but didnt really find much. A lot of these property searches are frustrating because even if you do not select say "land" or "mixed use" you still get results with them in there :angry:

I try HoustonPress backpage and also Craigslist seems to be catching on in Houston.

The chronicle is about as useless as it ever was haha.

While I am on the topic of publications...I sure do miss Public News!

David

Even for mostly unfinshied warehouse/garage space? I mean, rent prices are SUPER cheap...like $.35-$.45 a square foot. Also have seen sale prices of like $30 a sq. ft.

Really, it would be more like 1000 sq. ft. of built out "office" type space, with an additional 1000 sq. ft of warehouse/garage space.

Still not that possible?

Even for mostly unfinshied warehouse/garage space? I mean, rent prices are SUPER cheap...like $.35-$.45 a square foot. Also have seen sale prices of like $30 a sq. ft.

Really, it would be more like 1000 sq. ft. of built out "office" type space, with an additional 1000 sq. ft of warehouse/garage space.

Still not that possible?

In Montrose and the Heights, you couldn't touch even a vacant lot for the money you're talking. Oak Forest is getting pricey, and is 99.9% residential anyway. East End is your best bet for something close in.

$30/sqft? Where exactly, and how many sqft total?

To be honest...I can not remember the places I saw for that price. They obviously weren't excatly what I was looking for...so I kind of just looked past them.

Yeah, I hear that whole are is quite expensive now (still not as bad as Austin...I live between Hyde Park and UT).

I used to work at a studio in Spring Branch called Sound Arts...it was in a good size building that was a hair salon in the 50's. I figured there might be more stuff like that?

But like I said, would like it to have a one or two car garage. an old fire station would be perfect! Obviously the real historic ones downtown are out of the price range...but I am sure there are others in the within or not too too far outside the beltway that were built in the 50's or 60's that would work.

My biggest trouble is just finding a good listing of properties! That commgate place seemed promising...but didnt yield much at all.

David

There is a vacant lot, 1200sf house and 2000sf warehouse for sale at 508 Pecore in Woodln Heights. It's listed for 399,999.99. It has been on the market a while. You might buy the whole package and then sell the lot. It's reasonably worth $100k by itself at $15-$18/sf.

You might also look in Shady Acres or Sunset Heights. You might find something selling for lot value that includes a building/warehouse.

I want to say I saw a listing or two in Garden Villas in Southeast with extra buildings in back and on large lots. Not sure about the restrictions in there. Something in there might be adaptable for what you want to do. chk out MLS# 8566051

Isnt that the same as commgate. I went to har.com and clicked on commercial properties and it sent me to commgate. Commgate isnt too bad...i did find a couple of things of interest...but not enough.

Not exactly. Commgate is just the commercial listings. Click on "find a home" and it has all the residential listings.

Gotcha...but I am only looking for a commercial property. Something with about a 1000 sq ft. office and 1000 sq ft. warehouse with overhead door.

You obviously are much more familiar with Houston real estate as I havent lived there in 5 years...so I put weight in your comments. However, I just saw a 4,500 sq.ft. Warehouse with 2 offices and and 2 baths in the middle of the heights on 12,000 sq. ft. of land for $250k. That is about $55 a sq. ft. for just the building. Am I wrong to assume that a building that is 2,000 sq. ft. in the same area would go for around $120,000? or even $150,000?

Thanks!

David

Gotcha...but I am only looking for a commercial property. Something with about a 1000 sq ft. office and 1000 sq ft. warehouse with overhead door.

You obviously are much more familiar with Houston real estate as I havent lived there in 5 years...so I put weight in your comments. However, I just saw a 4,500 sq.ft. Warehouse with 2 offices and and 2 baths in the middle of the heights on 12,000 sq. ft. of land for $250k. That is about $55 a sq. ft. for just the building. Am I wrong to assume that a building that is 2,000 sq. ft. in the same area would go for around $120,000? or even $150,000?

Thanks!

David

I haven't seen the listing, so I could be wrong, $250k is for 12k of land if it is buildable for townhomes, etc. The stuff on it probably has a lot less to do with the valuation.

Check it out here: Commgate ID# 10982

It is a metal building...which obviously is cheaper. But taking that into account, $55 a sq. ft. isnt too bad. So could I make the jump and say...$75 a sq. ft. in the same area for a building that is 2,000 sq. ft. with the type of layout I described is possible??

When I was looking for a place to open my studio in Austin, my brother and I would drive around and try to spot for rent signs. In Austin, that is pretty easy since it is not big at all. But driving around like that in Houston would be difficult I assume.

I haven't seen the particular listing but anything in The Heights or near it is probably listed at $20/sf for the land as a minimum. That would include Shady Acres, Sunset Heights and even parts of Brookesmith. So $20 x 12,000ft2 is $240,000. If you put a smaller building on it, it's still $240,000. In fact, with no building on it, it's probably worth more (no demo).

Even though .har.com is residential listings, it's a good resource to find small parcels with commercial buildings on it. They will be included in the single family listings and/or the residential lot listings. Much of the former commercial property inside the loop is being redeveloped residential so it gets listed in har.com. I've always found commgate to a better source for larger parcels.

Guest Professional Hornblower

HOWDY, hey david how'r ya?

Glad ta see a fella texan on this here forum.

I didnt read yer post at all..but i'm gonna guess at what yer askin' us up in here.

The best strip clubs in houston can be found along I-10 East cuz that swhere all the truckers n what not go and what not. tuesdays they have a place called the vertical taco which is wehre i like to take my wifes. they give out on tusedays they give out half price la p dances for 50cents. so's you cant take both of yer wifes and get um both lapdances for the same price itd cost 1 normal one .

see hwat im sayin?

Now you might can even talk em down to 25 cents fer one because some of them there women have open wounds on there skin so its not really safe to let them make contact with you but its all good so long as i get so stare at baby-feeders in my fat face.

so anyway i hop ethi s here helps you comin back to texas maybe will see you there next tuesday im goin there tonight n takin my sister there so maybe drop by and ill say high.

-Hornblower

I concur that your best bets would probably be found on the East Side.

One thing to consider: that side of town has lots of train traffic, and those suckers are loud. Depending on the site, soundproofing your studio may be problematic. I have a friend who had a studio on Center St. (same building as David Addicks') and every time the train passed, conversation had to cease.

Yeah, noise is a factor for sure. Building out a studio to be soundproof can be expensive. The studio I own now is actually not soundproofed at all...but it works out. However, I would rather it be a slightly less traffic/train area.