HAIF PotD: El Problema

editor

3646447322_63539ab278.jpg

Telwink calls this photo "El Problema."  I'll let you argue over whether it is, or not.

To me, it signifies something sad about a society when the most important feature of a home is not an entrance which welcomes others, but a fortress garage.

It's probably not great architecture, but I don't really have a problem with it. It makes sense in a city that is very car-oriented. And let's face it, a lot of people want their houses to appear more fortress-like than welcoming. Maybe if they had stone walls with gates, say like you see a lot in Mexico City, the effect wouldn't be so prominent.

I agree with Subdude.. we are a car-centric city in an automobile-driven society. There's no getting around that, neither do I believe there is reason to apologize for that. However, editor does bring up a good point in how the above is translated to residential architecture. Certainly there are better ways like detached back garages.

This leads me to a specific observation which maybe someone can enlighten me on concerning the history of - alleyways.

Cheryhurst has them, as do several other older neighborhoods. How come though these aren't more prevalent in older neighborhoods?

Also, obviously there are economic factors that I'm sure go into it, but why do zero new neighborhood developments in Houston utilize alleyways, yet pretty much every new neighborhood in North Dallas area does utilize them ?

2nd observation. We lament the fortress house when applied to new and tacky cookiecutter residences, esp when a driveway up front is involved. "Oh woe, Neighbors dont talk anymore"..... but how many countless Mod houses, that have no front glass, or far setbacks on a huge yard, or walled in front courtyard, do we see as beautiful. They're much more fortress than those above so i think using that word with a negative connotation is misguided.

Same is true for relatively new architecture e.g. The Zemanek house on Peden recently reviewed on Swamplot ... it's a fortress.. but its beautiful.

All fortresses, all front entries dominated by garages or big-ass driveways (least so with Zemanek since its a corner lot, but corner garage nonetheless)... all revered.

Our Mod photography winner-

post-1-12509745629279_thumb.jpg

The Main house used on the front page of Houston Mod

gordonhousesmbw.jpg

Zemanek

zemanek-approach.jpg

I agree with Subdude.. we are a car-centric city in an automobile-driven society. There's no getting around that, neither do I believe there is reason to apologize for that. However, editor does bring up a good point in how the above is translated to residential architecture. Certainly there are better ways like detached back garages.

This leads me to a specific observation which maybe someone can enlighten me on concerning the history of - alleyways.

Cheryhurst has them, as do several other older neighborhoods. How come though these aren't more prevalent in older neighborhoods?

security may be an issue for some. I know someone who's had their garage broken into at least 2x and the owners were there and didn't hear anything. they've subsequently made access to the garage more difficult.

Also, obviously there are economic factors that I'm sure go into it, but why do zero new neighborhood developments in Houston utilize alleyways, yet pretty much every new neighborhood in North Dallas area does utilize them ?

there's a newer one the west side that utilizes rear access

Archived