Great loft conversion idea

I've seen lots of warehouses and factories converted to lofts. I even lived in one in Houston (Dakota Lofts, a former paint warehouse). Walking around, though, I came across this -- an interesting idea.

post-1-12507912387918_thumb.jpg

What the designers have done is taken the space between two windows, and put down a metal floor, and then closed the whole thing in with glass. I think it's a pretty cool idea, and the first time I've seen it.

I've seen lots of warehouses and factories converted to lofts. I even lived in one in Houston (Dakota Lofts, a former paint warehouse). Walking around, though, I came across this -- an interesting idea.

post-1-12507912387918_thumb.jpg

What the designers have done is taken the space between two windows, and put down a metal floor, and then closed the whole thing in with glass. I think it's a pretty cool idea, and the first time I've seen it.

Great idea for a little extra space.

Nice. Not a fan of the flush metal flashing but that creates an excellent window case garden depending on orientation. Plus a "clean" break from modulated regularity seems essential to most urban dwelling identities.

It's south-facing and looking over a surface parking lot, so yeah -- great container garden possibility.

That can't cost too much to add compared to just the window right?

My father built ten-foot-wide balcony onto the second story of our home all by himself. I bet a commercial contractor that knows what he's doing could do it pretty cheaply, especially if the building is already under renovation.

(Subsequent owners removed the balcony because the local bears developed a habit of climbing up the cherry tree and sitting on the balcony to feast.)

Archived