Mod Neighborhoods Council

texasdago

Houston Mod is going to be forming a Mod Neighborhood Committee as a way to build a forum and exchange of ideas among modern neighborhoods around Houston. We'd like to recruit individuals who can represent different neighborhoods to be part of the committee.

Are any of you interested in joining as representatives for your neighborhoods? Right now, the exact purpose of the committee is still taking shape and your input would be greatly appreciated.

Other than chairing the committee, I'll be glad to represent Memorial Bend. Any other volunteers? Rps would be a great representative for Glenbrook Valley, for example.

Please post your thoughts...

Ar

I could do it for Glenbrook, although as a board member of the civic club, Stolitx might want to do it.

I would like to see Meyerland join in. There is a wonderful collection of moderns in there and I don't know that people fully know. We just sold a towering new "villa" in there for 1.2 million, so the McMansion developers know it can be done now. These homes will be in increasing danger in the next few years.

There are a lot of neighborhoods that could benefit from this, Riverside, Old Braeswood, Ayrshire, Willowbend, Westbury, Sharpstown....

I'm in for Willowbend/Willow Meadows, maybe branch out to Westbury until/unless we find someone. We have a lot of ranch and colonials in my neighborhood, except for the better known (Jenkins and co.) houses. We do have a bunch of houses that have 50's flair to them though, but I don't know if they are exactly Modern/Miesian etc, or if they even need to be for us to reach out to them.

When I see a house that piques my interest I jot down the address. I would love to knock on every door and let them know about Houston Mod and invite them to join. No one I've talked to in the modern houses knows about Houston Mod yet. I would like to carry a card with my name and Houston Mod on it.

Would Houston Mod be interested in hosting pictures like the Memorial Bend Website has, or would you like them to go on the Space City Modern site. I can take pics of our neighborhood's mod homes.

Jason

I think it would be great for all of you to get involved. rps324 - if both you and stolitex want to be on the committe, that would be perfect. We encourage as much involvement as possible. Willowisp (aka Jenkinshouse on lottaliving) and Perimiter, we could use your help, too.

I think part of what we can all do is work on documenting our respective neighborhoods... gathering as much information about the houses, architects, history, publication, etc. In part, we would be documenting what is here today as well as those great neighborhoods that have been decimated over the years.

It might make sense to meet up one night after work to talk about some ideas. I can share what I've done (and what I still need to do) with Memorial Bend.

So... so far, we have...

Glebrook Valley

Willowbend / Willow Meadows

Sharpstown

Memorial Bend

Any other takers? Do we know of any other east siders that might be interested. There are some jewels on the east side that, unfortunately, are somewhat unknown. All of the neighborhoods rps listed need help.

I'm also very curious about Old Braeswood (esp. 2307 Bluebonnet, a house I'm very in love with) as well like RPS said. One of Houston Mod founders lives over there, right (KL)? I'm very busy of course with restoring my house, but I certainly want to be as involved as I can make myself available. I'm a teacher, so in less than a month my schedule will open up a lot. Between now and then, I'd be happy to make a meeting to hear what you did to bring Memorial Bend the some of the recognition it deserves.

That's really the main idea we can sell to our neighborhoods in encouraging more membership in Houston Mod. Recognizing and revering our neighborhoods' "recent past" adds a certain value to these homes that is impossible to attain in other neighborhoods that may be better located, but don't have the history behind them because too much of the history is being/has been torn down...

Sadly, a lot of the architects of this era have passed on, or are quite old, so we need to get as much info as we can as soon as we can. What I wouldn't do to have Jenkins over to see my house and tell me what to do! And I consider myself somewhat lucky in that I do at least have a 49 year owner of the house to lean on for "what was here originally" questions. I digress.

Count me in.

Jason

While it is true that most of the architects have passed away, many of the original (or older) residents can provide a lot of excellent. You learned this first-hand with your house. Some can have a wealth of information so talk to them while you can.

On Old Braeswood - the neighborhood has some very cool houses, several of which are listed in the Houston Architectural Guide. You can find some information on their web page. http://www.oldbraeswood.com/ Also, it seems that they once published a book on architecture in Old Braeswood although I have no idea what is included.

One of the things all of us can do is to drive around our neighborhoods and take photographs of modern houses. Document the houses and be sure to keep track of their addresses - I generally keep a tab of the image file on my digital camera on a notepad with the corresponding address.

Is there anyone in Ayrshire that can pitch in?

td, after I have my baby I'd love to help volunteer with anything you would need in the Memorial Bend area. I'm having her at the end of the month (hopefully!!) and will be at home for about two months after that--probably around August I will be able to have a bit more freedom to do things. :)

Archived