Pearland Park & Ride

I searched for a thread directly named Pearland Park & Ride, and found nothing, which surprised me.

Anyways, it might've been discussed, so i apologize in advance if its been posted before.

According to some blog in the Chron

Local board OKs Park & Ride funding application

Efforts to start a Pearland-area Park & Ride service took a key step Friday when a Houston-Galveston Area Council transportation board approved an application for federal money to help fund the project.

H-GAC's Transportation Policy Council's unanimous vote means that a local entity, Connect Transit, can seek $1.5 million from the Federal Transit Administration to jumpstart the program.

http://blogs.chron.com/pearlandroadwarrior/2009/07/post_3.html

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

http://www.ultimatep...e-pearland-area

City: Kirby corridor the way to go for rail

January 12, 2010 1:13 pmRobert Stanton wrote:With an eye to the future, Pearland City Council on Monday unanimously selected the Kirby rail line as the preferred passenger rail route in southern Harris County and Pearland.

While light rail along the corridor is years away, it’s vital for the city to set priorities now on where a new line should be placed, City Councilman Steve Saboe said.

“The earlier the better,” Saboe said, “because it provides for good planning and obviously gives plenty of time to enable us to reserve some property to do that.”

The resolution will be signed by each council member and forwarded to officials in Brazoria and Harris counties, the city of Houston, the Houston-Galveston Area Council and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority of Harris County.

The regional officials have been asked to reserve enough right-of-way to accommodate light rail along the corridor, said Pearland Assistant City Manager Jon Branson. The city already has saved city-owned city right of way for the proposed project, he said.

The earliest that light rail could come to the Kirby corridor is 15-20 years, Branson said.

“This is a multijurisdiction effort, and it’s going to take everyone being on the same page,” Branson said. “To make (light rail) happen, (regional officials) have to include it in their plans and be aware that it’s a desire.”

About 7,000 Pearland motorists who travel to and from the Texas Medical Center to work every day, Mayor Tom Reid said.

A Kirby corridor “would give them an opportunity to catch a light rail into town instead of driving in,” Reid said. “It also would free up parking spaces at the medical center they desperately need for patients.”

Reid said a managed lane along Texas 288 – another word for toll road – would help to alleviate traffic bottlenecks as the region continues to grow in population.

City Councilman Scott Sherman said the resolution is a big step in the right direction for the city.

“I drive down (Texas 288) every day and I sit on that road for 45 minutes to an hour every single morning and every single afternoon, as do a lot of my neighbors and friends,” Sherman said.

“This is only a positive thing,” he said of the resolution. “But we’ve got to work with the all the county's other entities to try and get it done. The sooner the better.”

Meanwhile, city officials are continuing to push for a Park & Ride facility along Texas 288 after an earlier plan fell through

Archived