Historic Houston Buildings

Does anyone have any pointers, suggestions, or advice on things to be aware of before buying a house/condo that is designated as a historic building? I'm giving serious consideration to buying a place that has such a designation, and I'm looking for any comments that might help me think of things I've not yet considered...

I know you can't change the exterior or modify the building's windows, and so it won't be a very energy efficient place, but any other thoughts?

Does anyone have any ideas on whether resale would be difficult? Is the market for historic places pretty limited to a particular group of people?

Anyone???

Thanks...

• Like 1

The windows are a big deal. I lived in a building with an historic designation, so the windows were original from 1909, and they sucked. There were gaps in the frame big enough for small birds to wiggle through. You can bet the roaches had no problems. When I moved to a new building, my electricity bill went from $150/month to $35/month.

My last house was a local & national registered landmark. I think some of the restrictions depend upon who gave the designation. I didn't have any issues, but then again the house was already restored when I bought it.

There can be other advantages, for example on the Condos at Commerce Towers, because of it's historical status, there are some special tax breaks that last for something like 17 years. If you buy a condo there you get to take advantage of them.

I guess it is a case by case basis.

:lol: funny heightsguy. i don't think mr. arnold gives a hoot about "living" in a historic building, only how quickly he can tear it down with minimal repercussions.

yet another piece of our history lost. :angry:

Guest danax
The windows are a big deal.  I lived in a building with an historic designation, so the windows were original from 1909, and they sucked.  There were gaps in the frame big enough for small birds to wiggle through.  You can bet the roaches had no problems.  When I moved to a new building, my electricity bill went from $150/month to $35/month.

Unless something else is terribly wrong, the old windows can be weatherstripped and adjusted to work tightly. There's a lot of material on the internet regarding restoring them. There's something beautiful in a near-perfectly functioning wood-sash double-hung window. The weight system can be finely balanced to where one finger can lift a large window. It takes time and patience, which most people these days don't have, but usually, the result is something more entrancing and superior to today's windows. And once you've successfully completed one restoration project, the light bulb might come on for an appreciation of the rest of the remaining historic features.

As for potential resale appeal, the majority will think in terms of energy efficiency and practicality but there will always be those few out there that will pay extra for original, historic features.

• 1 year later...

It's interesting how many pics throughout the years

were taken of the Metropolitan Theatre on Main St. at this angle.

This one is from 1941.

The photos you're looking at have been greatly reduced.

Click on the link below for the high resolution photo (not the photo itself):

http://i10.tinypic.com/2d0xd1h.jpg

2cys7s7.jpg

Houston Skyline facing the Chronicle Building.

I wonder where the 1913 red light district mentioned in an older thread is?

Again, click on the link below for the high resolution photo:

http://i10.tinypic.com/48xsnes.jpg

2r5q9gh.jpg

Those are cool pics Ron4tx. Thanks B) I see my last name on one of those buildings. Is the Chas F Parker building still there?

Edited by Marty

Those are cool pics Ron4tx. Thanks B) I see my last name on one of those buildings. Is the Chas F Parker building still there?

That particular building is long gone. Chase Tower, or whatever it's called today, is there now.

Although the photo is labeled "Looking east on Texas Street," I'd say it's more like looking north on Travis Street.

Interesting. I thought the Metropolitan was a film-only venue by the 1940s.

Edited by gonzo1976

It's interesting how many pics throughout the years

were taken of the Metropolitan Theatre on Main St. at this angle.

This one is from 1941.

The photos you're looking at have been greatly reduced.

Click on the link below for the high resolution photo (not the photo itself):

http://i10.tinypic.com/2d0xd1h.jpg

2cys7s7.jpg

Looks like the same photo in this post by editor that says it's a 1944 photo. Where did this picture come from? Looks like the 1941 date here might be correct, since it's written on the photo.

Looks like the same photo in this post by editor that says it's a 1944 photo. Where did this picture come from? Looks like the 1941 date here might be correct, since it's written on the photo.

I purchased both of these photos along with others back in the early 1980s.

I still possess the photographs which are 12x10 photo-glossies.

The store from which I purchased them was an antique store that had many old photos.

The information came with the photos.

Edited by Ron4tx

Since I used to go to the Metropolitan quite often, this thread piqued my interest. While trying to find out more about the history of the theater, I stumbled onto this on the Cinema Treasures website. I think the two cars in the Met photo are 1941 Plymouths, so it appears your photo date is correct and the Library of Congress 1939 date on the C.T. photo needs to be corrected.

BTW.. Thanks for presenting those photos as small files with reference to the larger resolution files. The high resolution showed a lot of detail and the smaller photos in the post saves time for dial-up users.

I stumbled onto this on the Cinema Treasures website.

BTW.. Thanks for presenting those photos as small files with reference to the larger resolution files. The high resolution showed a lot of detail and the smaller photos in the post saves time for dial-up users.

Thanks for the link and compliment, 57Tbird.

Creating smaller pics and adding links takes a few extra steps.

This is one building (The Lamar Hotel) that I wished was saved.

Houston lost a treasure when it was demolished.

• 1 year later...

I photographed some of the old buildings and houses around downtown Houston in the '70s.

Regretably I wasn't careful about documenting all the specific locations and addresses, so if

you know a location please let me know. I'm in the process of scanning my archive of negatives

and will post more as I go along. If y'all have any more please add them for everybody. Thanks!

post-5954-1209826602_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

I only saw one photo attached to your message, and that one appears to be Fire Station No. 6 at 1702 Washington - discussed in this thread. It's a great photo - thanks for posting it.

Edited by tmariar

Welcome to the forum!

I only saw one photo attached to your message, and that one appears to be Fire Station No. 6 at 1702 Washington - discussed in this thread. It's a great photo - thanks for posting it.

Thanks for the info. I thought I was attaching at least two other photos at the time but only one got in.

Couldn't see the jpeg on the other thread. Here's a jpeg of the HVRadoff bldg. on Franklin and ?

On the side you can see the Franklin St. Cinema sign and below that is sign for La Bastille. Is this bldg

still there?

post-5954-1209935069_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. I thought I was attaching at least two other photos at the time but only one got in.

Couldn't see the jpeg on the other thread. Here's a jpeg of the HVRadoff bldg. on Franklin and ?

On the side you can see the Franklin St. Cinema sign and below that is sign for La Bastille. Is this bldg

still there?

There are only a few sections of the downtown area (or close to) that still have some of these row buildings. Example behind Minute Maid ballpark next to the Homeless shelter areas, where Canal meets Harrisburg (near Olshan Lumber Yard) and in very old Near North Side nabe. Got to really scout around to find if unfamiliar with the older parts of the city. :)

Real interesting photo of the HV Radoff Building. La Bastille was the early 70s cellar jazz club right? And the Franklin St. Cinema was an adult theatre? The movie playing their at the time of the photo "The Analyst" isn't listed in imdb.com.

I wonder what was or had been in the second floor of this building. A couple of the windows look broken. I can't make out the hanging sign on the corner.

There are only a few sections of the downtown area (or close to) that still have some of these row buildings. Example behind Minute Maid ballpark next to the Homeless shelter areas, where Canal meets Harrisburg (near Olshan Lumber Yard) and in very old Near North Side nabe. Got to really scout around to find if unfamiliar with the older parts of the city. :)

still there?

Judging just from the below drawing (from houstonlandmarkgallery.com), I don't think the Radoff building is still there, no. I think the cross street there is Milam, and that the spot where the Radoff building was located has been a drive-through bank parking lot for many years.

There have been other mentions of La Bastille on HAIF - it's good to see a photo of it. Thanks!

I'd really love to see any other photos you have from the area. I'm sure others would as well.

magnolia_4.jpg

• The title was changed to Historic Houston Buildings