Looking For A Mother's Day Out Program Or A School That Has An Early Childhood Program

My wife and I are looking for a Mother's Day Out Program or a school that has an Early Childhood Program in the Heights, for our 2 year old daughter. She is currently with a sitter and although we like that she is the only kid at the sitter's, we think it is time for her to start getting interaction with other kids on a daily basis instead of on the weekends when she see's her cousins.

We were wondering if anyone know's of any good Mother's Day Out Program or school that has an Early Childhood Program in the Heights? If you have had an experience (good or bad) we would like to hear about it or any recommendations. We are looking either for a 3 day a week or a 5 day a week type program.

i am not sure where there are MDOs, but i can tell you where there is not: esperanza on heights blvd just cancelled their MDO program to make more room for full time kiddos. they expect it to resume in 2010. they are hoping to buy some HISD property and expand.

there is a great website, started by a heights mom, which can help with your search: www.kidcareyears.com there is a lot of info for free and then if you want more in depth info, there is a small fee (i think $7 or something like that)

Try the website for NAEYC (national association for the education of young children). They list programs that have received their accreditation, which is stricter than that of the state. PLenty of good schools don't have this accreditation, but you can be pretty sure that the ones that do are good schools.

We are already on the waiting list for St. Rose of Lima, right now it is a 2 year wait. We have an appointment at Garden Oaks today.

Our neighbors just started their daughter here too. Make sure you ask more questions if they say things are full, certain people there know more than others. I didn't quite pay attention to the conversations, but the receptionist let on that they were full and then when they got with one of the director ladies they got right in. They're all nice people.

Our three kids went to St. Martin’s Episcopal Children’s Center on Sage/Woodway from 1996-2008, starting at 18 months up until K. Obviously not in the Heights but an excellent pre-k, 6 hours/day, 2-5 days per week. Last year we had to send our youngest to his elementary school for his final year of pre-k to ensure a spot in Kindergaten. Good private schools like the Vanguard Magnet HISD schools are getting very selective.

My youngest goes to MDO at ST. Matthew's UMC on Shepherd @ 43rd. She absolutely loves it and I have no complaints whatsoever. The staff is awesome and the director is always out and about during drop-off/pick-up times.

My oldest goes to school at St. Rose of Lima and the lil one will start there next fall for pre-k. The lil one would be at the ECC, but they had no openings for her age group last year when we wanted to get her started in MDO type programs and they only do a 5 day/week program (unless they've changed it) and I didn't really want her there that many days. I really liked the facility however. Once we started somewhere else though, I didn't see a reason to pull her out of it to move to another school until pre-k. I've also been involved with some of the teachers there, as well as parents, when putting together the annual Halloween Festival last year and they were all super nice and so willing to help out and get their kiddo's involved. I think that's awesome.

Edited by darva

• The title was changed to Looking For A Mother's Day Out Program Or A School That Has An Early Childhood Program