Social networking spam

I hope this is not some sort of phishing scam...

I got an email at my work address from this website saying my girlfriend had sent me a message from this place and gave me a link to go read it.

Well, I went, but to to read it you of course have to sign up. All it asked for was my name, birthday, gender and email address. I put in my personal address and then I got an email confirmation with my temporary password at my WORK email.

How and why did it send it to my work email? How did it have it since I gave it my personal addy?

I hope this is not some sort of virus or scam.

Anyone heard of this place?

I received something similar saying it was from someone I knew - and I did know them, and it was legitimate (they signed up for it).

The caveat - apparently when you sign up they spam out your email.

I received something similar saying it was from someone I knew - and I did know them, and it was legitimate (they signed up for it).

The caveat - apparently when you sign up they spam out your email.

exactly. I just found out from wikipedia that's how they do it. No wonder they have 22 million registered users, but I wonder how many actually use it after realizing they were scammed.

Sometimes when someone signs up for these social networking sites they have the option of uploading their computer's address book or linking to an online address book or e-mail account. They're told it's so the site can see who they know who's already online and add them as friends.

The problem is that some of these sites are so desperate for users that they'll spam everyone in the user's address book who's not already a member. Worse, if you give them access to you Yahoo! or GMail or whatever, they'll go through everyone you've ever sent mail to and spam them. Even WORSE is that some of the sites will go back every couple of weeks and re-scan your e-mail to gather even more addresses to send to.

Of course, the spam arrives as "Xxxxxx has invited you to..." to make it seem like they've actually taken positive action in this direction, when in reality they haven't. But it's all perfectly legal because no one reads the 40 pages of what they agreed to when they signed up for the service.

I'm going to change the title of this thread. There's no point in giving these people freepub.

• 1 year later...

Archived