What's Going On Behind Raising Canes On Westheimer Rd.

BayouCityGirl

Another strip center?

The "Raising Cane" resturant being built up on Westheimer between Dairy Ashford and Kirkwood. Look further back. Does anyone know what's building in the VERY back?

I hope someone can tell me I'm interested to know. I HOPE NOT more apartments! Westheimer is lined with them as it is!

Another strip center?

The "Raising Cane" resturant being built up on Westheimer between Dairy Ashford and Kirkwood. Look further back. Does anyone know what's building in the VERY back?

I hope someone can tell me I'm interested to know. I HOPE NOT more apartments! Westheimer is lined with them as it is!

With a chicken dump, the inevitible five wireless phone stores, a suburban apartment complex, perhaps a storage facility, "convenience" store and/or Houston 420/Zone d'Erotica or Mobile One Autosound, we'll have our own little Westwood Village.

Can Somebody please reboot Westheimer from about Chimney Rock, out and just start over?

I'm sure the riced-out Civics and crotch rocketeers can find another place to race while this is happening. The We-Ho scenesters will find another place to coke-up and cruise for mouth-breather bars in their jackass polyester. We can throw a blanket or two over Fogo, Truluck's, Texadelphia and Chacho's to preserve them, then take the dynamite we would have used on those places and double up on the Carrion Center, the rotting corpse of a shopping center near the Beltway.

With a chicken dump, the inevitible five wireless phone stores, a suburban apartment complex, perhaps a storage facility, "convenience" store and/or Houston 420/Zone d'Erotica or Mobile One Autosound, we'll have our own little Westwood Village.

Can Somebody please reboot Westheimer from about Chimney Rock, out and just start over?

I'm sure the riced-out Civics and crotch rocketeers can find another place to race while this is happening. The We-Ho scenesters will find another place to coke-up and cruise for mouth-breather bars in their jackass polyester. We can throw a blanket or two over Fogo, Truluck's, Texadelphia and Chacho's to preserve them, then take the dynamite we would have used on those places and double up on the Carrion Center, the rotting corpse of a shopping center near the Beltway.

Just a tad-bit angry at Westhimer eh. Personally I feel that Westheimer helps personify Houston. A bit wild, a bit sophisticated, and some jewels that you wont find in any other city. I get nostalgic to my teen years (barely ten years ago) when I get to drive down the street on weekday nights. I can remember driving down Westheimer in my 86 IROC-Z Camaro or another friends car on the weekend. Driving endlessly from HWY 6 to Montrose just looking for a party or friends to party with. Occasionally veering off to the Richmond strip to cruise Blue Planet or Lizard Lounge and plotting ways to get inside without an ID. Totally at awe with the a mount of energy and life still around after sunset.

That road is Houston to me. It will always be Houston. I have seen it change so many times since I was a kid. I doubt it has gone through its last transformation.

Personally I feel that Westheimer helps personify Houston.

Exactly. And that personification is just as you described -- an IROC-Z-driving underage person looking to sneak into a cheesy nightclub. Most people around the country who are open-minded enough to not see us as a bunch of cowboys, see us as this, instead. We have no one to blame but ourselves for letting Westheimer happen. It's nasty. It's almost as bad as Richmond.

Exactly. And that personification is just as you described -- an IROC-Z-driving underage person looking to sneak into a cheesy nightclub. Most people around the country who are open-minded enough to not see us as a bunch of cowboys, see us as this, instead. We have no one to blame but ourselves for letting Westheimer happen. It's nasty. It's almost as bad as Richmond.

So you want to turn Westheimer into a no-fun zone? Pray tell what city this type of scenario doesn't happen. It happens everywhere. From LA to New York to Miami to London. Or are you being just an old fogee (sic?)? So if poeple instead of cowboys, see us a rice-car driving teenagers, then you are trying to please the wrong type of person. Sure, Westheimer needs a little sprucing up. However, at what cost to its vitality?

So you want to turn Westheimer into a no-fun zone? Pray tell what city this type of scenario doesn't happen. It happens everywhere.  From LA to New York to Miami to London.  Or are you being just an old fogee (sic?)? So if poeple instead of cowboys, see us a rice-car driving teenagers, then you are trying to please the wrong type of person.  Sure, Westheimer needs a little sprucing up. However, at what cost to its vitality?

This is old-Montrose1100-style in its random, rambling nonsense. If you think London has a Westheimer, you've never been to London.

This is old-Montrose1100-style in its random, rambling nonsense. If you think London has a Westheimer, you've never been to London.

Please enlighten me as to where in my post I claimed that London had a Westheimer. I was eluding to the fact that teenagers will be teenagers. Apparently you seems to be too shortsighted to understand the context of my posts. Which would then explain your desire to destroy other peoples homes because it doesnt fit your criteria. Are you a Republican?

• 4 weeks later...
Just a tad-bit angry at Westhimer eh.  Personally I feel that Westheimer helps personify Houston.  A bit wild, a bit sophisticated, and some jewels that you wont find in any other city.  I get nostalgic to my teen years (barely ten years ago) when I get to drive down the street on weekday nights.  I can remember driving down Westheimer in my 86 IROC-Z Camaro or another friends car on the weekend. Driving endlessly from HWY 6 to Montrose just looking for a party or friends to party with.  Occasionally veering off to the Richmond strip to cruise Blue Planet or Lizard Lounge and plotting ways to get inside without an ID. Totally at awe with the a mount of energy and life still around after sunset.

That road is Houston to me. It will always be Houston. I have seen it change so many times since I was a kid. I doubt it has gone through its last transformation.

I moved to Houston in 1972. I too have seen Westheimer transitioned from lower Westheimer to Hwy 6. I'm with ya. Luv ya Westheimer.

I moved to Houston in 1972.  I too have seen Westheimer transitioned from lower Westheimer to Hwy 6.  I'm with ya.  Luv ya Westheimer.

I think it's great, too...until you get to about Chimney Rock. Then, it turns to crap. From there out, it looks like the loop around Tyler, or any other overbuilt, visually-polluted, anti-pedestrian "street" that functions as a low-speed highway, due to poor planning and worse execution. There are hundreds of roads like this in mid- to large-sized cities in the South. None of them is particularly strong in character or sense of place. That ours is probably the biggest, or longest does nothing to sway my opinion in this matter.

I have no problem with "fun," but the only people having any fun on outer Westheimer seem to be steakheads, hoochies, street racers and chicken eaters. Bleh. Blow it all up.

I'd be happy if they got rid of all the power lines and all the hanging wires. Those are just ugly. And I want more trees. It should be a boulevard, not a highway.

Carillon is tacky, and way too pomo, but the rest of Westchase is kind of nice - especially around the Beltway which may someday give rise to a string of high rise buildings.

I won't bother complaining about that stretch of Westheimer because I don't live out there any more, but I did want to make a comment about Raising Cane's. Are any of you familiar with it??

I used to eat there when I lived in Baton Rouge (that's where it was started by a guy in his late 20's; he did copy of of Guthrie's in Auburn, AL but I won't go into that...) and it is no "Chicken Dump." Granted, I quit eating fast food about a year ago so it's a good thing I no longer live off of Dairy Ashford to be tempted, but it has great chicken. Super fresh, chicken fingers only (no bones, no greasy buckets, etc.) in boxes with fries or on sandwiches. And NOTHING like the chicken strips to be found at the nasty chains.

Try it! I'm sure I'll you won't be disappointed. I'm sure I'll have to make a trip out there just for old time's sake.

Megan

I won't bother complaining about that stretch of Westheimer because I don't live out there any more, but I did want to make a comment about Raising Cane's. Are any of you familiar with it??

I used to eat there when I lived in Baton Rouge (that's where it was started by a guy in his late 20's; he did copy of of Guthrie's in Auburn, AL but I won't go into that...) and it is no "Chicken Dump." Granted, I quit eating fast food about a year ago so it's a good thing I no longer live off of Dairy Ashford to be tempted, but it has great chicken. Super fresh, chicken fingers only (no bones, no greasy buckets, etc.) in boxes with fries or on sandwiches. And NOTHING like the chicken strips to be found at the nasty chains.

Try it! I'm sure I'll you won't be disappointed. I'm sure I'll have to make a trip out there just for old time's sake.

Megan

I'm sure it's the cat's ass.

Megan

Either way you put it chicken fingers are greasy. Their fried chicken fingers. Maybe they wipe off the grease before they serve it to ya.

some fast food isn't bad for you. Depends on how much you eat and what you eat at the fast food place.

Normally when I go to eat fast food I eat anything chicken. Side item if possible:

Mcdonalds: the apple dippers (with low fat/no fat dipping sauce)

Burger King: Apple Sauce (in their kids meal)

Wendy's: fruit cup I believe but I hardly go to Wendy's.

I hardly eat out on weekdays. I usually eat a chicken sandwich (grilled chicken) with 2 veggies I take home from work.

for dessert: Ice cream (but I look at the fat content)

I can eat as much as I want if I wanted to but then again I want to watch what I eat and enjoy it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

heeheehee :lol: it's classy, with a capital K

• The title was changed to What's Going On Behind Raising Canes On Westheimer Rd.

Archived