Question - bathroom DIY project

I just bought a single floor house which was built in 1975. I plan to remodel the half bathroom by myself. I had no DIY experience before. But since this bathroom is very tiny (5.5' X 6'), I think it might be a good starting point.

This bathroom just contains a vanity and a toilet. Here are the things I plan to do to the bathroom:

(1) Replace the saltillo tiles on the floors with new porcelain tiles.

(2) Remove square white ceramic tiles on two adjacent walls around the toilet.

(3) Install faux wainscoting on the walls.

(4) Paint the walls.

(5) Install a new toilet and a new pedestal.

Here are my questions:

(1)Yesterday I removed one saltillo tile from the floor by using hammer. Some old white thinset came out with the tile, some didn't. It looks to me the underneath is concrete. May I place thinset/tile directly on the concrete slab? Or should I install Ditra membrane first, then thinset and tile? The original tiles are in good condition right now. No cracks. They are just worn out.

(2)What exact power tool(s) should I use to speed up the tile/grout removal process? I tried to find the answer online. However, it seems different people favor different tools. I'm totally confused.

(3)What would be the correct/easiest way to remove the small tiles from the walls? Do I have to install new drywall afterwards?

(4)What aspects do you think are important for my first DIY project? I would greatly apprecite any suggestions!

I want my bathroom looks like this:

Thank you!

post-8391-1246398087_thumb.jpg

I just bought a single floor house which was built in 1975. I plan to remodel the half bathroom by myself. I had no DIY experience before. But since this bathroom is very tiny (5.5' X 6'), I think it might be a good starting point.

This bathroom just contains a vanity and a toilet. Here are the things I plan to do to the bathroom:

(1) Replace the saltillo tiles on the floors with new porcelain tiles.

(2) Remove square white ceramic tiles on two adjacent walls around the toilet.

(3) Install faux wainscoting on the walls.

(4) Paint the walls.

(5) Install a new toilet and a new pedestal.

Here are my questions:

(1)Yesterday I removed one saltillo tile from the floor by using hammer. Some old white thinset came out with the tile, some didn't. It looks to me the underneath is concrete. May I place thinset/tile directly on the concrete slab? Or should I install Ditra membrane first, then thinset and tile? The original tiles are in good condition right now. No cracks. They are just worn out.

(2)What exact power tool(s) should I use to speed up the tile/grout removal process? I tried to find the answer online. However, it seems different people favor different tools. I'm totally confused.

(3)What would be the correct/easiest way to remove the small tiles from the walls? Do I have to install new drywall afterwards?

(4)What aspects do you think are important for my first DIY project? I would greatly apprecite any suggestions!

I want my bathroom looks like this:

Thank you!

1. You need to get all of the old thinset off the concrete. Do not use Ditra membrane or any other fracture membrane for that matter, it is a waste of money unless you are in a pier and beam house (which you're not). You will place the thinset on the concrete and the tile on top of that. If you are using stone or a big tile then you will need to butter the tile also.

2. There are no power tools to help you remove tile and grout unless you are just replacing 1 or 2 tiles. A fubar, wrecking bar or that same hammer will remove the tile from the walls. Don't use a sledge hammer and do not use a reciprocating saw -- because you don't know whats behind the tile (electrical or plumbing)

3. Yes, you will need new drywall, preferably green board.

4. Remember to turn off the water ;) and don't give up

On the tools issue, I can't say enough good things about wet saws. We bought a cheap one ($99 at Lowes) and tiled our master, middle and downstairs restrooms and entry way in marble. It was fun to use and worked like a champ and now the areas look much, much better than their original late 70's look. If I had a real professional wet saw I'd be dangerous.

Greenboard is not recommended for use in wet areas anymore. Products like hardibacker, durock, or wunderboard should be used instead.

Follow-up question: This is a powder room, not a full bath with bath/shower. Doesn't it seem like greenboard would be acceptable in this circumstance?

Edited by travelguy_73

Follow-up question: This is a powder room, not a full bath with bath/shower. Doesn't it seem like greenboard would be acceptable in this circumstance?

That's my understanding. Greenboard can be used in damp areas that will rarely if ever see water splashing up against it...the harder concrete based stuff should be used in wet areas like showers.