Tree Advice

As far as palms, many do well here. Queens, Pindos, Mexicans, Majules, Dates, Norwalks, etc. I've had almost every type listed and I find that there is very little more robust than the Pindo. If you keep them trimmed properly they will handle both our heat, and tempuratures below 15 degrees.

As far as fruit... Nothings better in our climate than lemmon.

that's not a lot of water. a deep watering is better than 5 mins from a sprinkler.

We have a mix of plants back there including a red oak. Would you say that watering once/week for 15-20 minutes is better than hitting it lightly for a few times per week? With rain coming back I didn't want to hit it with too much water.

By the way the lemon tree had 2 big new leaves on it this morning. It's a start.

We have a mix of plants back there including a red oak. Would you say that watering once/week for 15-20 minutes is better than hitting it lightly for a few times per week? With rain coming back I didn't want to hit it with too much water.

By the way the lemon tree had 2 big new leaves on it this morning. It's a start.

with the heat we've been having, a light sprinkle just evaporates. the roots need a good soaking. i ended up planting a key lime about a month ago and i've been doing a deep soaking about 2x/week. I'd say at least 20 new limes since i planted it along with the 10 or so that are about ready to eat. probably would have had more cept a hornworm got to some of the new growth. got that bastard though.

5 minutes every other day is just a tease as far as your lemon tree goes. You would be amazed just how much water comes from an average rain storm and generally we get 1-2 of those a week during a normal summer.

I will generally run the sprinkler for an hour at a time 2-3 times a week over each section of the yard and that seems to do the trick for all of the foliage and grass. A few of my foundation shrubs are drying up because they're out of range of the sprinkler, but for the most part my yard is surviving.

5 minutes every other day is just a tease as far as your lemon tree goes. You would be amazed just how much water comes from an average rain storm and generally we get 1-2 of those a week during a normal summer.

I will generally run the sprinkler for an hour at a time 2-3 times a week over each section of the yard and that seems to do the trick for all of the foliage and grass. A few of my foundation shrubs are drying up because they're out of range of the sprinkler, but for the most part my yard is surviving.

That's right on the mark. It's much better to water less frequently, but much deeper. This allows the root systems of grass (especially St Augustine), trees and shrubs to grow down versus sideways. The general rule is about an 1 to 2 inches of irrigation a week, but done in the intervals exactly as you are doing.

By the way, a good way to measure how much time one needs to run their sprinkler is to place a coffee can in the sprinkler zone, and wait until it fills to roughly half an inch deep. This will tell you how long your particular sprinkler takes to get the job done.

Edit: Another thing to consider, and it will give you BIG results with trees, is to purchase a deep root watering system. They're about 50 bucks and work beautifully, not only for irrigation, but for fertilization as well. Also, since night time temps are in the low eighties to high seventies you can irrigate at night without the fear of fungal diseases. Just don't overdo it.

Archived