Almeda Area What's The Story?

jakabedy

In my travels in Houston this week I didn't get to venture into this area (not enough time) but it seems as though there are older homes for low prices. It's not far really from the museum district, Montrose or Rice, so . . . . what's the deal? Is this an area with potential?

Very up and coming. Some people call it Binz or even Museum District. I love the detail at the street crossings of Almeda itself. Most of what I looked at over there seemed to already be tainted by the proximity to the Med Center driving the prices through the roof for what you get. Maybe if you look harder than I did youd find a good value. Still alot of shacks and shantys in there.

Yeah when I first started looking around for a house, I checked out the metal townhomes they were building over there on Calumet to the left side of 288. Decided I wasn't a big fan of the metal, but I thought the homes over there were just waiting to be restored. Some historic huge ones, very garden district New Orleans style. Also, the location I thought I was great, easy access to Museum district and Midtown in minutes. Didn't look too rundown, just ignored and uncared for over the years. Almost seemed like there must have been another story keeping that area from growing quickly.

Yeah when I first started looking around for a house, I checked out the metal townhomes they were building over there on Calumet to the left side of 288.  Decided I wasn't a big fan of the metal, but I thought the homes over there were just waiting to be restored.  Some historic huge ones, very garden district New Orleans style.  Also, the location I thought I was great, easy access to Museum district and Midtown in minutes.  Didn't look too rundown, just ignored and uncared for over the years.  Almost seemed like there must have been another story keeping that area from growing quickly.

I saw those homes, too -- behind the corrugated townhomes. They are wonderful houses -- just look like folks without much money have owned them for some time. Deferred maintenance and "improvements" not too sympathetic to the historic homes. I saw one great big tudor over there that was simply boarded up. But I didn't see much for sale.

I did some more research and learned that this is the old Third Ward, which has a historically black component to it. (There's a thread here on HAIF that discusses the area). I think some of the long-time residents weren't pleased with the developers coming in and doing teardowns (a la corrugated townhomes) and there is even a movement afoot to try not to sell the homes to "outsiders." I think, though, if folks who appreciate the homes for what they are and not simply for the ground they rest on, could move in and show an appreciation for the neighborhood, it would help.

The area could be great, but a lof of folks who live there now just don't care to keep things up.

Parking in the front yard, and that kind of stuff. I suppose most just rent though.

$225K will get you an extreme fixer-upper.

But the foot traffic is nothing compared to Midtown. And we all know what foot traffic brings, or should I say "takes".

Calumet is in the first sections of Riverside Terrace. There are homes designed by some of the same architects that designed homes in River Oaks & the Museum district. There are no deed restrictions active in that section of Riverside and many of the homes have been butchered into commercial uses or apartments.

Of the ones that you do find intact, they can be great & some even have basements. You would expect it to be cheaper based on the curb appeal, or lack of, but there are no give-aways over there. A nice estate sized home on Riverside Drive is for sale around $525,000 and others in that area start in the low $200's. The sections of Riverside south of the bayou retained their deed restrictions and look a lot better.

If you want something large and can spend around $250k and still have cash to remodel, then this area might be of interest. Otherwise, I would say go just beyond it to Idylwood and you can get a little better deal.

This looks like that home you were talking about on Riverside. Looks incredible, and several others in the area with similar features. Definitely an underrated area of town, not sure why it doesn't get more attention. Or maybe I'm just ignorant and people have talked about this before. I'm guessing on the latter.

Riverside Home

This looks like that home you were talking about on Riverside.  Looks incredible, and several others in the area with similar features.  Definitely an underrated area of town, not sure why it doesn't get more attention.  Or maybe I'm just ignorant and people have talked about this before.  I'm guessing on the latter.

Riverside Home

Yes thats the one, ($575 not $525, the memory is the first to go). Too bad you didn't get to see the screening of "This is our Home, it is not for sale." It would have given you all the background/history on the area.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an ancient thread, but I actuallly just bought one of the homes on Calumet east of 288.

Does anyone know how you would find out more of the history of the home besides HCAD? That only takes me back to the mid 90's. There are some great old features of the home, but some things I can't figure how it was originally. It wasn't made into an apartment, so it has that going for it. I just would like to have more information and don't really know where to start.

I didn't know about the deed restrictions not being in this section of Riverside, but now that you have said that it makes sense. There aren't any ugly condos south of McGregor.

Edited by alsal29

• The title was changed to Almeda Area What's The Story?