TheNiche Day

editor

Congratulations, Niche!

I agree that you are very level-headed when you debate issues. That adds a lot to the forum!

BTW I think J. P. Morgan would be great for a user with 10,000 posts.

Edited by VicMan

Sheeats, I am a god. I covered that somewhere in the vicinity of the 8k milepost. I lack Santa Claus powers, so I can't see you when you're sleeping or know when you're awake; I certainly don't know whether you've been bad or good, and I don't care of goodness' sake. Personally, I tend to align myself with Shiva. No worries, though--you're a god too. We're all gods. On that note, Puma probably has the Santa Claus powers down to an art. He knew I was sleeping.

When the HAIF goes down, does your ego pop? It makes me wonder.

Nah, when it comes down to stress or frustration, I'm a real 'Type B' personality. Like a palm tree, I bend but do not snap.

And just like a palm tree, you require proper pruning/grooming, so you don't look like the palms off of the Gulf Freeway. ;)

I'm guessing that means you take a shower at least once a day....right? :huh:

Nah, it was a reference to when he refused to get a shave and a haircut for a while...or something. :P

I always seem to be late on everything. :(

But congrats Niche! Quite the addition and an awesome supporter of such a great forum. I wonder if I will ever reach this remarkable day! On one hand it would be cool, but on the other hand I am hoping I dont sort of. Haha.

That's funny, because the ones on the highway are known as queen palms.

Hahaha...thnx for that, I appreciate good humor. Maybe he's a "royal" palm, or a fan...

Oops, by the way, congratulations Niche, on your HAIF accomplishment.

Cheers!

Edited by NenaE

Mr Niche hasn't been on since Tuesday... guess he's trying to balance out the posts a little better these days.

I took my six-year-old nephew on his first camping trip and am still out of town, visiting old friends in McAllen.

It's remarkable. I haven't been back here for seven years, and everybody has kept telling me how much McAllen is growing and about all the impressive new things they've got. They implore me to look for jobs here because they're growing so fast (in percentage terms). But in truth, the maquilas are cutting output, the Peso is devaluing against the Dollar, Mexican political instability and health scares are frightening off tourists from the U.S., they participated massively in the subprime mortgage bubble, their foreclosure rate is ridiculous, and with all this new construction, everybody thinks that a P.F. Chang's and a Barnes & Noble down the way from a new convention center that's probably about on par with the convention facilities of Galveston puts them soundly in the "big city" category.

The folks that didn't leave McAllen after high school tend to live with their parents or work the service industry. I can't seem to go to any large store without running into one of them and hearing the story of their life that they don't realize is humiliating. And my meager existence is considered lavish, if only because I own my own home, live by myself (instead of with a wife and a baby with my parents in the same room of the house I grew up in), am a small business owner in a field other than sales. I think it even comes across as arrogant or uppity to some of them that I'd rather read the day's news or type up posts on HAIF rather than watch Spongebob Squarepants. So many folks around here are so intelligent and have great potential, but they're mired in a provincial culture insulated from either the redeeming aspects of the interior of the U.S. or Mexico, and which embraces mediocrity as its anthem. It's sad, really. I'd be just fine not returning for the next seven years (if ever).

So many folks around here are so intelligent and have great potential, but they're mired in a provincial culture insulated from either the redeeming aspects of the interior of the U.S. or Mexico, and which embraces mediocrity as its anthem. It's sad, really.

While everyone is free to choose their own lifestyle, I have to agree with you that the choice to assimilate in the culture of a small town can really prevent people from reaching their full potential. Small towns seem to adopt a lower set of standards in terms of education, cultural awareness, and general use of one's time on earth. I often wonder why this trend continues, given the easy access to American cultural paradigms through the internet and cable television.

While everyone is free to choose their own lifestyle, I have to agree with you that the choice to assimilate in the culture of a small town can really prevent people from reaching their full potential. Small towns seem to adopt a lower set of standards in terms of education, cultural awareness, and general use of one's time on earth. I often wonder why this trend continues, given the easy access to American cultural paradigms through the internet and cable television.

In the case of border towns (especially those as geographically removed from mainstream culture as those in the Rio Grande Valley), I've observed that people with potential and the psychological capacity to realize it tend to filter northward to places where they can find challenge and fulfillment in their lives. It's just one more example of subcultural segregation. What's left behind at the point of origin is a highly concentrated and frighteningly fertile mix of losers which proceed to reinforce the local culture. It's a little like observing Idiocracy in practice. I've also noticed that alpha personalities that do make their home there tend to be a little megalomaniacal, enjoying the big fish / small pond effect.

One of the things that is unique about the south Texas border towns in particular, however, is that they are growing. Most small towns in the US are stagnant or in decline. But this is a case where we have a combined population numbering in the millions (so it isn't really a small town situation, per se) that is growing rapidly, with very nearly all of the employment growth occurring by way of hospitals, public schools, government, and retail. In most cities, these sectors are all considered non-core employment; they're the sectors that grow when jobs are created in other sectors. That rule does not hold for the RGV.

Edited by TheNiche