A "thanks" button

marmer

I'm active on another forum where there is a "Thanks" button at the bottom of each post. If you click it, it says something like "The following users thank "username" for this useful post:" followed by a list of the users who have given "thanks."

It has two really cool effects: it allows users to give positive feedback to a good post without cluttering the forum with "me too" posts and it makes it possible to find the best posts quickly by looking for thanks. It also gently encourages putting some thought and care into your posts. :)

If you want to see how it works, look at The Paracast Forums

Anyway, I frequently see posts on HAIF that I would thank if the option were available. I hate "me too" posts so I won't necessarily respond if I don't feel I can add anything.

I'm active on another forum where there is a "Thanks" button at the bottom of each post. If you click it, it says something like "The following users thank "username" for this useful post:" followed by a list of the users who have given "thanks."

It has two really cool effects: it allows users to give positive feedback to a good post without cluttering the forum with "me too" posts and it makes it possible to find the best posts quickly by looking for thanks. It also gently encourages putting some thought and care into your posts. :)

Anyway, I frequently see posts on HAIF that I would thank if the option were available. I hate "me too" posts so I won't necessarily respond if I don't feel I can add anything.

thanks

I don't know. Some forums have "ratings" systems like this one: http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Fan/Forum/4.../31#post1340875

but allows people to anonymously "beat up" a comment, even if it's not spam.

And Facebook has a "Like" button.

But for the HAIF? Nah. That's what makes the HAIF pretty neutral.

I had touched on that topic last summer, but was shot down. :P

I too would rather see "me too" post go away.

Anything to improve a thread and make them better, I am for it.

Editor mentioned it was going to be in the release of the next forum update.

Marmer, perhaps we can get a button that posts......."FIRST!" also. :rolleyes:

BTW, thanks !

Ah, the "FIRST" post, nothing funny than when they are not the first.

Can we shot whom ever started that silly internet trend.

There is something coming soon to HAIF when we get the new forum software installed (I'm going to start playing with it this weekend).

It will allow you to not only rate threads (a function which exists now), but also rate the users who write messages.

So if someone writes something you think is particularly good, you can click a button to improve that user's reputation.

It's not as direct as a "Thanks" button, but it does, in aggregate, show someone that there are people out there who value their opinions.

Ah, the "FIRST" post, nothing funny than when they are not the first.

Can we shot whom ever started that silly internet trend.

This is the first I've become aware of this. Do we have people like that on this board? (please don't name names)

There is something coming soon to HAIF when we get the new forum software installed (I'm going to start playing with it this weekend).

It will allow you to not only rate threads (a function which exists now), but also rate the users who write messages.

So if someone writes something you think is particularly good, you can click a button to improve that user's reputation.

It's not as direct as a "Thanks" button, but it does, in aggregate, show someone that there are people out there who value their opinions.

I believe I've seen what you're talking about. I guess it's sort of an add on to the user ratings that are in our profiles?

Thanks, ed. I do appreciate everything you do for us on this forum. The nice thing about the "thanks" feature is that it's not numeric, and it's tied to posts rather than users. It can't really be used as a weapon in case a couple of users get into it or some smart-aleck decides to mess around. Additionally, it recognizes that not all posts by even veteran forum members are great, and even newbies sometimes provide useful information.

Thanks, ed. I do appreciate everything you do for us on this forum. The nice thing about the "thanks" feature is that it's not numeric, and it's tied to posts rather than users. It can't really be used as a weapon in case a couple of users get into it or some smart-aleck decides to mess around. Additionally, it recognizes that not all posts by even veteran forum members are great, and even newbies sometimes provide useful information.

I've never used a thanks button but this explanation is perfect for the pro's for it.

Well, I know I'm already below sea level on the "opinion" section. I can only imagine my post ratings are going to be sinking to the point that whale fecal matter will eventually be higher in ratings.

I had touched on that topic last summer, but was shot down. :P

I too would rather see "me too" post go away.

Anything to improve a thread and make them better, I am for it.

Editor mentioned it was going to be in the release of the next forum update.

I concur.

Archived