Off topic subforum idea

Geoff8201

I was thinking one thing HAIF is missing is a place where members can discuss their specific careers and network based on those fields.

My idea was an addition of an Off-Topic Subforum where members can post their particular field and discuss their day to day jobs, network, and provide feedback on each other.

For example, my position is a Head Engineer in a hi-rise building. I'm licensed as a 1st Grade Stationary Engineer from COH, so it would be interesting to meet other stationary engineers who work in Hi-rises, Hotel, office buildings and hospitals, as well as those who do construction, electrical, and plumbing work in these areas. It would also be benificial in my case to talk to others in the same boat I am... such as Hurricane Prepardness in tall buildings, Mandated Sprinkler Updates, cost cutting ideas, interior design input, etc.

I haven't seen anything else that comes close on here other than it happening coincidentally in other topic discussions.

What's everyone think?

I could use such a site, but HAIF is not the appropriate venue. I need to retain anonymity.

Yea, Superheros never reveal their true identities :P

Indeed there would be a lot of exposure for members who do participate... unfortunate. In my field about the only networking is the Hotel Motel Engineering Association and I don't attend those meetings because they turn into places for salesmen to pitch their new products I don't need, and members have to pay dues.

I guess as a whole Haif is not the place, but still, I figured why not pitch the idea, never know.

I was thinking one thing HAIF is missing is a place where members can discuss their specific careers and network based on those fields.

My idea was an addition of an Off-Topic Subforum where members can post their particular field and discuss their day to day jobs, network, and provide feedback on each other.

For example, my position is a Head Engineer in a hi-rise building. I'm licensed as a 1st Grade Stationary Engineer from COH, so it would be interesting to meet other stationary engineers who work in Hi-rises, Hotel, office buildings and hospitals, as well as those who do construction, electrical, and plumbing work in these areas. It would also be benificial in my case to talk to others in the same boat I am... such as Hurricane Prepardness in tall buildings, Mandated Sprinkler Updates, cost cutting ideas, interior design input, etc.

I haven't seen anything else that comes close on here other than it happening coincidentally in other topic discussions.

What's everyone think?

I'm intrigued. And if you've followed the history of HAIF, you know I'll try anything once.

I'm not sure what the categories should be, though.

Networking

- Real Estate Agents

- Architects and Developers

- Building Operations Personnel

Something like that?

I'm intrigued. And if you've followed the history of HAIF, you know I'll try anything once.

I'm not sure what the categories should be, though.

Networking

- Real Estate Agents

- Architects and Developers

- Building Operations Personnel

Something like that?

Maybe we could take a survey of what industries we work in? I'm sure there are plenty in those fields but also plenty who have no connection at all, too.

Maybe we could take a survey of what industries we work in? I'm sure there are plenty in those fields but also plenty who have no connection at all, too.

That might be problematic. One of the great things about HAIF is its anonymity. There are people who are experts in their field who might be recognized if they participated in a themed section. For example, we have quite a few (at least a dozen) reporters and news anchors on HAIF.

Sure, they could simply not post in those sections, but the lure would probably be too great. Like the way some people know that they'll get into an argument if they cruise the Politics section, but simply can't help themselves.

Maybe if the subsections were very broad it might help.

Archived