Nyc American Express Commercial

Has anyone seen the American Express commercial featuring Robert DeNiro about New York City, namely Manhattan? I know we (the forum regulars) had talked about having a Houston commercial, and how we all agreed that they can be "hokie", like a "come visit Little Rock" ad can be.

Well, I saw this commercial and thought it was extremely classy. I think it would be great to have a commercial about Houston like this one.

The commercial is in mostly black & white, and shows the different neighborhoods of Manhattan while DeNiro narrates a bit about about his love for each one, but mainly his home of Tribecca.

Heres the commercial: My Life, My Card

How cool would it be if Beyonce or maybe Dennis Quaid made a commercial in a similar light to the Amex commercial that would be used as a media tool nationally.

What things could they reminisce on that would make for a good visual interpretation?

Yeah. It could say..

"My Southwest Side.. (Show Bellaire)"

"My Uptown.. (Show the Galleria & Williams tower/fountain)"

"My Village.. (Show Rice Village)"

"My Green.. (Show Herman Park/Memcom Fountain/Sam Houston Statue)"

"My Red.. (Show Toyota Center & then Yao dunking)"

"My Wellbeing.. (Show the Medical Center, show surgery)

"My Serenity.. (Show the Rothko & Menil)"

"My Wildside.. (Show a bullrider in Reliant at the rodeo)"

"My Joy.. (show theatre, ballet, art musuem)"

"My City.. (Showing clips of downtown, the tunnels, the buildings, the commuters getting on the metro rail)"

"This is my life.. (aerial shot of downtown Houston)"

What do you think? Who would be the best actor to do this?

I really don't think Houston is not ready for this.

But if we must:

Alabama Ice House on hot dog Friday.

Checking out the Art Car parage.

Chilling at the Orange Show.

Buying some tunes at Soundwaves.

Catching a flick at the Aurora Picture Show.

Shopping at the resale shops on Westheimer.

Houston. It

The problem is I can't think of anyone "classy" enough (to use your word) who also has any national appeal and would conjure a Houston image that could then parallel the image of the AMEX card. You see, that spot is about selling image, not tourism and Dinero is New York to a lot of people. Also, notice it didn't do a chamber of commerce tour of Manhattan -- it showed simple neighborhood shots, ground zero and taxi cabs -- iconic representations.

The message of the spot was not to profile Dinero's city -- it was to profile his life. He is known as one of those marquee New Yorkers who lives for that city. Can you name one "classy" celeb who feels the same about Houston? Other "my life" spots feature different aspects of the subjects' lives -- not just the cities where they live.

I might think maybe Lyle Lovett could be a possibility, but he's not even really closely identified with Houston. With his restaurants, frequent sightings downtown and worldwide acting fame, Dinero's love for his city makes him a part of New York. There is no one on par with that in Houston or most other cities for that matter. Maybe Spike Lee with Brooklyn, Jack Nicholson for LA, Bill Gates for Seattle, Sarah Jessica Parker for Manhattan, Clint Eastwood for San Francisco, One of the Daley guys for Chicago, Oprah for Chicago -- you get the idea.

Beyonce? she may be famous. I'll even give you your idea of "classy". She hardly personifies this city, however. No body thinks of Beyonce as a Houstonian except Houstonians -- and they think about it too much.

I agree with you that we don't have any real "home-town" talent, but that wasn't even the point of the thread.

The point, was not to wish for a Houston version of the American Express commercial wish some spectacular star narrating it. But rather, for a commercial about Houston that would be shown nationally, that is filmed cinematically similar to the AmEx DeNiro commercial.

I say again: The only coincidence between the AmEx DeNiro commercial and a Houston version would be that the cinematic perspective of the AmEx DeNiro commercial be duplicated for a commercial that would advertise Houston to other markets in a classy fashion. By "classy fashion" I mean anything other than "Come to Houston - we've got Astroworld & NASA!".

I repeat: This thread had nothing to do with wanting AmEx making a commercial about Houston, any celebrities from Houston, or anything relating to the AmEx personification. This thread had only to do with the idea of creating a nation media tool for Houston to advertise itself as anything other than a typical "hokie" southern town.

Anyone still not tracking?

I agree with you that we don't have any real "home-town" talent, but that wasn't even the point of the thread.

The point, was not to wish for a Houston version of the American Express commercial wish some spectacular star narrating it. But rather, for a commercial about Houston that would be shown nationally, that is filmed cinematically similar to the AmEx DeNiro commercial.

I say again: The only coincidence between the AmEx DeNiro commercial and a Houston version would be that the cinematic perspective of the AmEx DeNiro commercial be duplicated for a commercial that would advertise Houston to other markets in a classy fashion. By "classy fashion" I mean anything other than "Come to Houston - we've got Astroworld & NASA!".

I repeat: This thread had nothing to do with wanting AmEx making a commercial about Houston, any celebrities from Houston, or anything relating to the AmEx personification. This thread had only to do with the idea of creating a nation media tool for Houston to advertise itself as anything other than a typical "hokie" southern town.

Anyone still not tracking?

Maybe...but you went on to use the exact AMEX copy adapted to your Houston idea. So, it doesn't really seem like you're "tracking".

Nevertheless, even if you were able to get this idea straight, I don't think there's anyone with national appeal who personifies Houston in a DeNiro/NYC way.

Is it just me, or is it that Dal never pays attention?

Maybe...but you went on to use the exact AMEX copy adapted to your Houston idea. So, it doesn't really seem like you're "tracking".

I guess you missed this sentence: "The only coincidence between the AmEx DeNiro commercial and a Houston version would be that the cinematic perspective of the AmEx DeNiro commercial be duplicated for a commercial that would advertise Houston to other markets in a classy fashion."

So yes, before you could point out the obvious, I had already stated that the desire was to copy the AmEx commerial for use in a Houston bases media commercial - having nothing to do with AmEx.

Thank you though for attempting to stay one post ahead.

So yes, before you could point out the obvious, I had already stated that the desire was to copy the AmEx commerial for use in a Houston bases media commercial - having nothing to do with AmEx.

Well, I like your idea of trying to do a Houston promotion, but now that you have clarified that you wish to blatantly copy the AMEX spot in doing so, I hate the execution. How in the world would this come off as "classy"? I think it would look ham-handed and hickish -- honest opinion.

I'm really not trying to be confrontational with you, however. Why does my disagreeing with you always have to be taken as an affront? Can we all just get along?

Here's something else to consider: even with the overused "blue-green transfer effect", the production value of that AMEX spot is very high. I'm guessing they had about a 4-5 day shoot on film with one or two units, with a top director, crane shots, helicopters, barricading streets, craft services, hotels, lighting, etc. So, maybe $300,000 BEFORE they even paid DeNiro? Probably a $400,000 spot.

So, let's say your Beyonce spoof has a $25,000 budget -- about right for a local HD :30 production -- who's even going to pay for that? Beyonce will want $25k minimum, maybe more. Again, who pays? Then, you'll be shooting on tape and it will show, even in HD. Even if you got a film crew for another several thousand, it would be tough to approach the production and post-production values of that AMEX spot. So, you'd have something looking really amateurish. Now, if you could get around $100,000-$150,000 together to pay a real director and crew on film, you'd might come close. But then, you wouldn't have the star connection that drives that AMEX spot. So, it would fall flat.

See, I can pay attention.

I'm really not trying to be confrontational with you, however. Why does my disagreeing with you always have to be taken as an affront? Can we all just get along?

No, we can't get along. I think you're a liar when it comes to you denying that you're confrontational. You were confrontational throughout the entire Raising Cane's thread, and you've obviously taken the same stance in this thread too.

I received numerous PM's throughout that thread asking why you were being such a jerk, and if I had somehow pissed you off in a previous life. Infact, you were the reason that thread was shut down. You insulted multiple people there with no reason to.

This thread was simply to put an idea out to the forum discusssing something that had been loosely talked about before in various threads. It was not started so someone like yourself could come in, bash the idea, and then play coy when questioned why.

Now we know where you stand Dal. You don't like the idea. Would you be so kind as not to post your confrontational negativity towards anyone else that might like to discuss the idea? I'd hate for others who are Pro-Houston, to be scared away by your insulting remarks.

Seriously, I am not trying to be confrontational, nor am I attempting to insult you. In no post in this thread have I said anything insulting to you, even in the face of your blatant attempts to bait me.

You have asked a question on a topic that is within my area of expertise. I am a writer/producer for broadcast media. I simply gave you my opinion, which, for the sake of staying on topic, I will again -- the idea is great, but the suggested execution is terrible. What's so wrong with that?

If the purpose of your stating an idea is to generate some kind of love-fest for it, that seems really sad. Intelligent conversations often generate dissenting opinions, without any ill will intended against the people involved.

You proposed a good topic for discussion within an area in which I work every day. I simply wanted to join in. Why do you insist on antagonizing me and worse, trying to rally everyone else against me, too?

For the record, I also received E-mails related to that chicken thing, wondering why you would see it as progress, unless you had a vested interest in the restaurant and were attempting to use the board to advertise it.