Phil's Texas BBQ At 110 S. Heights Blvd.

EMME

I don't see a TABC application. The most recent building permit issued was in November, for exterior storm damage repairs. There's a lease listing here, but who knows how old it is.

All that said, it looks like the muffler business that used to be there - Southwestern Muffler - no longer is. What I think is their website doesn't mention a Heights location, but I noticed their two existing locations are referred to as locations #2 and #3 in at least one place. Elsewhere on the internet I see the Heights address referred to as "Shop #1". Plus, their history - the muffler business started in 1959, having grown out of a poultry and eggs business on Elgin - seemed to fit.

I also saw a reference to Schindler Enterprises here, but it doesn't look like it's in the restaurant/bar business. Looked more like it had maybe purchased the muffler business.

So, no scoop here...

The TABC notice says something about a BBQ joint.

Glad it will be more than just another bar but it seems pretty close Hickory Hollow.

I wonder if Hickory Hollow is relocating?

I talked to the owners last night, and yes, it is going to be a BBQ restaurant/bar called Phil's Texas Barbecue. They have a website under construction at www.philstxbbq.com. They said they plan to have live music there as well, and they will have a full liquor license. The couple live in the Heights and are really great people, and stay very active in the neighborhood. I hope they do well there.

I talked to the owners last night, and yes, it is going to be a BBQ restaurant/bar called Phil's Texas Barbecue.

Interesting since it will be almost directly across the street from Hickory Hollow (BBQ).

Sounds like it may be quite a bit different so hopefully they can both co-exist in close proximity.

I wonder what "soon" means. I want to try it very soon, which to me means next week.

Sorry 20thSt, but what they told me was they have a target open date set for the first of April (yes, 2010). So, they are still pretty early in the process. They said there was a ton of junk (old cars, parts, etc) in the old building and it has been a chore for the architect to even get in there to see what there is to work with. In the meantime, Pizzotola's is pretty close by for what I think is pretty good BBQ.

And, it does sound substantially different from Hickory Hollow, with live music, full bar, etc. A blend of Washington Ave newness, but with a laid back BBQ/bar setting, which should be a welcome change from all of the "clubby" types places that have been going up.

Sorry 20thSt, but what they told me was they have a target open date set for the first of April (yes, 2010). So, they are still pretty early in the process. They said there was a ton of junk (old cars, parts, etc) in the old building and it has been a chore for the architect to even get in there to see what there is to work with. In the meantime, Pizzotola's is pretty close by for what I think is pretty good BBQ.

And, it does sound substantially different from Hickory Hollow, with live music, full bar, etc. A blend of Washington Ave newness, but with a laid back BBQ/bar setting, which should be a welcome change from all of the "clubby" types places that have been going up.

glad to see a restaurant going in there. I drove by it everyday for 6 months. It looked like a rundown used car lot. They did some plywood repair work after the hurricane to make it look better. didn't work.

Hickory Hollow, Pizzitola's and Beavers will have competition now.

• The title was changed to Southwest Corner Of Washington Ave. And Heights Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Phil's Texas BBQ At 110 S. Heights Blvd.

Archived