The Heart of Houston

jfre81

still walkable?

I thought so. Somebody even waved me across San Jacinto when I was totally expecting them to hang a right in front of me. Motorists yielding to pedestrians in Houston. Whodathunkit.

I thought so. Somebody even waved me across San Jacinto when I was totally expecting them to hang a right in front of me. Motorists yielding to pedestrians in Houston. Whodathunkit.

not had a problem here. that's how it's always been to me.

Sweet, looks like the San Jose clinic thingy's really gonna be built after all!

dtmt4-09246.jpg

Great pics, thanks mate. If you wanna see walkable, you should hit the entire stretch of Elgin, all the way from 288 to where it becomes Westheimer. Then Westheimer's pretty walkable from that to some point further away, nearly to the loop (Well, save for the train tracks).

Great pics, thanks mate. If you wanna see walkable, you should hit the entire stretch of Elgin, all the way from 288 to where it becomes Westheimer. Then Westheimer's pretty walkable from that to some point further away, nearly to the loop (Well, save for the train tracks).

I'd thought about it but I was getting tired at that point. It will happen in the future though.

There's another one of these I posted awhile back where I walked to downtown from Westheimer@(near)Dunlavy.

Concerning the tunnels - Wells Fargo entrance was closed for some reason although it was about 4 when I was over there. Also, what exactly is the policy about photography down there (being private property)? Or does it vary depending on who manages that section of the tunnels?

Since it was a nice day and people were actually out and about on the surface, I decided to stay up there....

Depends on building security for each building, but I don't recall ever seeing a sign that prohibited photography, so I would probably just go for it and pull an "I didn't know I couldn't do that" if security spoke to me.

Just joined the group (as jfre81). I'll add some photos soon. Thanks. And yes, not all drivers here are as bad as the reputation would have it in regards to pedestrians.

As for the tunnels, I've seen pictures taken by others down there so I'll probably do it one day when it's hot (not that it ever gets hot or anything) and it drives the activity underground.

I have a lot more photos from other walks to post here, just haven't gotten around to it.

Why are you walking around so much, Brewster? Did your car break down? Can't afford METRO? I'm sorry that you're reduced to walking around...it must be embarrassing!!! ;)

Yeah, that guy's probably poor. Only poor people walk. Wait...what? olol

Really though I live near Reliant and took the rail downtown. For being a toy train that nobody rides it sure was crowded.

Oh yeah....I found this while looking for any rules regarding photography in the tunnels.

Building property owners maintain security by placing guards at strategic locations throughout the Tunnel and by installing cameras to monitor pedestrian traffic. Building owners ask that you not film or take photographs in their buildings. Wells Fargo Plaza prohibits filming and photography inside or from the building.

Of course it seems ambiguous as to whether the tunnels count as part of the building. I guess I could go down and take pictures until someone throws me out. Not that I'm really looking for trouble. Is this post-9/11 fears or something? What about the observation deck at the Chase Tower?

I've taken pictures and video from both the Chase and the Wells Fargo decks without being confronted by anyone.I would guess that Wells Fargo is paranoid because of the bank branch they have on the tunnel level. I doubt they care about video from the o-deck.

Kind of figured as much.

I've never been up on the decks. I'd think you could see more from Chase, would I be correct?

Jax, I added some photos from this and from outside Minute Maid Park on another day when I went to an Astros game - that's another HAIF photo thread for another time :)

Kind of figured as much.

I've never been up on the decks. I'd think you could see more from Chase, would I be correct?

Jax, I added some photos from this and from outside Minute Maid Park on another day when I went to an Astros game - that's another HAIF photo thread for another time :)

Basically completely opposite views, so they complement each other well. Its impossible to see all of downtown from either alone, but from both you can. I personally prefer the Wells Fargo one a little more, because the windows are massive (2 full stories connected by escalator) and it wraps around the building a little so you get some periphery. Also, you can see the ship channel.

great pictures....Thats the first time I've seen MetroRail linked together like that. Does that happen often or only during peak hours and major events?

Pretty much. I see it from time to time and rode on two linked cars for the first time that day into downtown. Rail has been really packed the last several times I've rode.

They can link more than two but I think that was only done during the Super Bowl in '04.

great pictures....Thats the first time I've seen MetroRail linked together like that. Does that happen often or only during peak hours and major events?

During commute hours every other train is supposed to be a double, but they're not meeting that standard. Its every third or fourth train. The demand is massive and they really need some more trains. The only thing I can commend them on is frequency. There's supposed to be a train every 6 minutes during weekday daytime hours, and for the most part that is very true.

• 3 weeks later...
Its really annoying after about 7, the trains only come by about every 30 minutes and after dark thats when all the crazies ride the train.

Actually, its every 6 minutes til 7:30, then every 12 minutes til 9, then every 20 minutes.

Archived