Buying inside the loop

I can't imagine anyone buying the townhomes over on Heights Blvd. south of I-10 across from Hickory Hollow. They are right on the tracks. Besides the noise, if that thing ever derails they are screwed.

Those townhomes are the poster child for the arrogance of builders. I bet the sides of the train cars are literally 10 feet away from the houses when they pass by. Assuming they "had" to be built, they could have least designed them and laid them out on the lot to minimize their proximity to the tracks. Instead they were built as if the tracks didn't even exist, and no potential buyer would question it. I hate to see waste, but I hope they rot away without buyers so something more useful can be built on that site.

Wow, I would have never guessed West U was in a floodplain, I don't really recall much water around the area at all (Braes Bayou, but that's pretty far south)

Poor Farm Ditch, which feeds into Brays Bayou. It starts near the Summit/Compaq Center/Lakewood Church and enters the bayou near Buffalo Spdwy.

• 4 weeks later...
Those townhomes are the poster child for the arrogance of builders. I bet the sides of the train cars are literally 10 feet away from the houses when they pass by. Assuming they "had" to be built, they could have least designed them and laid them out on the lot to minimize their proximity to the tracks. Instead they were built as if the tracks didn't even exist, and no potential buyer would question it. I hate to see waste, but I hope they rot away without buyers so something more useful can be built on that site.

They did not 'have' to be built. There was a great little art deco building on that site that would have made a great bar or restaurant. I'm with you, I hope the builder loses his shirt for insisting on putting homes there, when an adaptive reuse of the building would have been a better use of the property.

Poor Farm Ditch, which feeds into Brays Bayou. It starts near the Summit/Compaq Center/Lakewood Church and enters the bayou near Buffalo Spdwy.

Poor Farm Ditch is man-made. However, there were originally a few natural creeks and gullies in the area that is now West U. When most of West U was developed in the '30s, these creeks were put into underground culverts (often under-sized), or they were just filled in with dirt, hampering drainage into Brays Bayou.

Archived