Largest High School In Texas?

WestGrayGuy

To my knowledge. The Woodlands always been the largest high school in Texas, every since it was built. My dad's company insulated the Woodlands High School, and I seen it when it was an empty hull. It's a very huge High School, and to mention they building a new High School in Atascocita in Humble that will seat on 99 acres of land. Here is the link... http://www.humble.k12.tx.us/newhighschool.htm

http://www.humble.k12.tx.us/AHSPromo2004.swf

I was in the Lake Houston area of Atascocita and Kingwood last week for a meeting, and had not been over that way in quite some time. I was taken aback when I realized I was at the entrance to "Kingwood, the Livable Forest". I'm so used to everything being first-class, spit and polish, in the Woodlands area and I had thought that Kingwood had comparable amenities and style. Who owns Kingwood these days? Being so close to Lake Houston is such an attractive factor, but the surrounding areas look like commonplace sprawl gone wild. :(

• 1 year later...
Question:

Can anyone name the largest high school in Texas by enrollment?

It isn't what I thought it would be. I will post the correct answer in few days.

The new issue of Texas Monthly (February 2006) has an article about big high schools in the state ("Size Matters", page 64). The three biggest Texas high schools and their respective enrollments are:

San Antonio Judson--4,660 students

Dallas Skyline--4,410 students

Houston's Spring Westfield--4,338

The article discusses that the dropout rate in bigger high schools is higher than it is in smaller ones.

Plano and Plano East used to each have around 6,000. They must have finally built another school in that district.

I know Elkins used to have over 4,000. Wonder what happened. And Westfield used to only have like 2,500. How did they get over 4,000?

BayouCityGirl... did you know a girl named Holly Gregory, or a guy named Matthew Caldwell? They used to be friends of mine in college. Probably graduated in '98.

All these big high schools may look neat, but if people cared enough about what's best for kids, the largest high schools wouldn't have much more than 1,000.

I heard that my former high school, Alief Hastings, was #1 in enrollment and Elsik #2 prior to Alief Taylor opening in 2003, but could never confirm it. Only thing I know is that our graduation ceremony in 2001 had 951 students.

• 2 weeks later...

do you mean in the Houston area?

Because I only see schools you named in the houston and surronding areas.

My high school Franklin was PLENTY big which was out in El Paso, TX.

The class I was in (1997 year) was so big and overcrowded they had to divide students to go from Franklin to rival school Coranado!

oh my school was so pretty!!! It was brown with a bright blue roof!!

Archived