Seek Advice For Water Damage Home

Unfortunately, my entire house was flooded yesterday and I don't have flood insurance. Approximately 1/2 inch of water came in my house thru my atrium. Can you recommend a good restoration company? I had one estimate and it was around $5k-$7k for a 2k sq ft residentual home. I think it is high considering they are going to remove all the baseboard, cut the sheetrock, run blower for a day to dry the insulation and the frame, and sanitize the home. Is this a reasonable estimate? Can I do this by myself? Thanks and I appreciate any help.

You can (and should) cut the sheetrock yourself as soon as possible and get some fans going to dry out inside the walls.

Also remove any ruined carpet if necessary.

Get the place dry. You should be able to sanitize the walls yourself. Basically, its bleach in a sprayer. Im sure they use something fancy, but you can DIY.

Once dry, its a matter of repairing the sheetrock and putting in new carpets if necessary.

if you have wall to wall carpet, remove that so the water won't wick up the sheetrock. turn on your a/c and fans. you may luck out and not have any sheetrock damage since you had so little water and sheetrock in many homes doesn't go all the way down. if your baseboards are mdf remove those too.

If your going to do it do it NOW so it doesn't develop into something worse...

They were going to charge $5k to $7k just to get it dry right? Were they going to replace all the sheet rock and baseboards that were torn out?

If your going to do it do it NOW so it doesn't develop into something worse...

They were going to charge $5k to $7k just to get it dry right? Were they going to replace all the sheet rock and baseboards that were torn out?

No, they will just dry and probaby spray microbaterial agent to sanitize.

• 1 month later...

I am not sure what company my friends used, but the quote was similar to yours. So we decided to do it ourselves. We removed all the carpet on the first floor, removed all base boards and cut sheetrock approx. 24" up all over the first floor. It was a lot of work, but when you're doing it to your own home, or in this case a friend's home, it's makes it a little more fun when you add a little vodka to the gatorade. hahaha. It took us a whole weekend, 2 guys, sheetrock knife, hammer, flat head screwdrivers, and 1 guy smoking a brisket on the Sunday. well deserved meal, felt like the last supper. Now on to adding microbial solution, at this point we will probably hire someone to get it completely protected, but is there such a thing?

ijaxon

I am not sure what company my friends used, but the quote was similar to yours. So we decided to do it ourselves. We removed all the carpet on the first floor, removed all base boards and cut sheetrock approx. 24" up all over the first floor. It was a lot of work, but when you're doing it to your own home, or in this case a friend's home, it's makes it a little more fun when you add a little vodka to the gatorade. hahaha. It took us a whole weekend, 2 guys, sheetrock knife, hammer, flat head screwdrivers, and 1 guy smoking a brisket on the Sunday. well deserved meal, felt like the last supper. Now on to adding microbial solution, at this point we will probably hire someone to get it completely protected, but is there such a thing?

ijaxon

Its been a long fricking past 4 weeks. Got flooded as well... 6 inches, no insurance. I acted quickly in getting all water out and called kiwi restoration surfaces and they brought in some industrial dehumidifiers that day. Only cost a few hundred bucks for 72 hrs. I removed the wood trim along the base boards to help the floors/walls breath. Brought in some buddies industrial floor fans and I managed to save my wood floors (tho they will need to be sanded and redone). But we still had to cut 24 inches up throughout the house. I used a quarter bleach, rest water to treat affected areas. Worked great and it was cheap. I had to also gut out my entire garage, as it backs up to the creek. I have everything almost put back together. Me and a buddy have done everything basically ourselves save the cabinetry work. The manroge is almost complete and the work is slowing down. Rooms are all redone and smooth, kitchen and bathrooms are upgraded, and the garage is almost ready for a poker game. All in all, with all the work done ourselves, upgrades (new paint, cabinets, countertops, garage rewiring, etc, etc).... the fix/rennovation will cost around 10 k total. Its been a rough road, but its all starting to pay off FINALLY. No way I would have paid any restoration service that much without insurance.

Edited by TexansFight

• The title was changed to Seek Advice For Water Damage Home