Harper School At 3200 Center St.

tmariar

I'm curious if anyone knows what's happening with the Harper School building at 3200 Center St. (just north of Washington Ave., just west of Studemont).

Based on the information I've found, the building was built as the "Harper School" in 1927, and named after poet and abolitionist Frances Ellen Watkins Harper. I think the school probably served black students for some period of its history, based on its name/age, but also because I've seen old newspaper references to "Harper Colored School" and "Harper School (Negro)". I've seen references to the Harper Colored School as far back as 1915, so I think it pre-existed the building. The architectural plans for the building are dated 1926, the project is referred to as "Harper Colored School - New Building", and the architects are listed as Wyatt C. Hedrick and Gottlieb.

More recently, the building appears to have been used as an HISD alternative school - Harper Alternative School. But Harper Alternative School moved to North Shepherd in Fall 2007.

There are a number of temporary buildings on the grounds next to the building. When I rode by a couple of weeks ago, the building and grounds were surrounded by a fence, with for-sale signs posted around the property. The sales company's brochure for the property is here. The ad mentions the temporary buildings, but not the 1927 building. Which makes me wonder if (1) the 1927 building is not for sale, or (2) the 1927 building has been torn down very recently, or will be torn down very soon.

Anyone know what the plans are? Or have more information about the school's history?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3335/3431814651_0207cfc428_b.jpg

Harper School (front view)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3573/3432630548_b45fbd8bf1_b.jpg

Harper School (side view)

• Like 1

Boy, this one is hard to find, I tried, no luck...maybe looking into "Chaneyville" would lead you somewhere. (The block book maps are inaccessable right now, boo.) I couldn't find anything in the link to the old schools (the good one w/ the old pics). This may be one for the Texas Room librarians.

• Like 1

Boy, this one is hard to find, I tried, no luck...maybe looking into "Chaneyville" would lead you somewhere. (The block book maps are inaccessable right now, boo.) I couldn't find anything in the link to the old schools (the good one w/ the old pics). This may be one for the Texas Room librarians.

Thanks for looking! I hadn't checked the old school photos link yet, so that's helpful.

• Like 1

Thanks for looking! I hadn't checked the old school photos link yet, so that's helpful.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...=7547&st=30

here's that link to subdude's school link (pg. 2, post 39)...it's such a good one (it was hard to find, again)...one of the maps shows "Chaneyville ISD". Book date is very early, 1912, but one caption reads 1929 (elem. school pic., spanish style). Book must have been updated. Wonder when HISD annexed Chaneyville ISD schools.

Maybe I missed something.

Edited by NenaE

• 1 year later...

http://www.archive.o...age/88/mode/2up

here's a link to the Red Book of Houston (published October 30, 1915), showing the original wooden school structure, see electronic pg. 92, as well.

This book is great, it lists street addresses to bldgs. I plug them in, on GoogleEarth, to see if the structures are still there. Many of the residences are still standing, but changed, somewhat.

Sometimes, street nos. & addresses change.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Harper School At 3200 Center St.