Broadway FM 518 West Of Kirby Dr.

bobbypear

It looks like the expansion of Broadway(FM 518 from Kirby to Kingsley) is almost complete; however I have not noticed any possible installation of street lights on the north side of this thoroughfare. The south side has plenty of lighting during night time(they were installed way before the expansion) and now north side is completely dark. I do not think this is a good way to light this major thoroughfare. This is also a safety issue especially they installed sidewalks on both sides and for those who use this amenity on the north side at night; it might be very dangerous and scary. The least the city can do is to reduce the numbers of streets lights from the south side and add that number to the north side since the spacing between each light poles, on south side, seem to be very close to each other. Thus the city will not pay extra for it. I recently stumbled across the city's street lights request form. No matter how we resolve this issue; we DO need lights on that side. The link of the request form: http://www.cityofpearland.com/vertical/Sit...30F64D80%7D.PDF and I wonder if any of pearland bloggers would be more interested in submitting it and following it up since I am very busy lately. Thanks.

It looks like the expansion of Broadway(FM 518 from Kirby to Kingsley) is almost complete; however I have not noticed any possible installation of street lights on the north side of this thoroughfare. The south side has plenty of lighting during night time(they were installed way before the expansion) and now north side is completely dark. I do not think this is a good way to light this major thoroughfare. This is also a safety issue especially they installed sidewalks on both sides and for those who use this amenity on the north side at night; it might be very dangerous and scary. The least the city can do is to reduce the numbers of streets lights from the south side and add that number to the north side since the spacing between each light poles, on south side, seem to be very close to each other. Thus the city will not pay extra for it. I recently stumbled across the city's street lights request form. No matter how we resolve this issue; we DO need lights on that side. The link of the request form: http://www.cityofpearland.com/vertical/Sit...30F64D80%7D.PDF and I wonder if any of pearland bloggers would be more interested in submitting it and following it up since I am very busy lately. Thanks.

Technically, once Broadway crosses and goes west of 288, it's no longer FM 518. It's still Broadway St., but not FM 518.

Also be aware, the street lights on the south side of the street are mounted on the telephone poles (yes, the very poles that were moved south a few feet to allow the street expansion). There are no telephone poles on the north side of the street, and who knows if the electrical service for it is in place.

Most likely this will end up being handled with permanent metal poles, just like the other big streets in the neighborhood. It just takes a little time: Just two years ago, remember, this was just a narrow country lane with ditches that flooded in those heavy rains of Spring, 2007. Such great progess since then! :rolleyes:

Also be aware, the street lights on the south side of the street are mounted on the telephone poles (yes, the very poles that were moved south a few feet to allow the street expansion). There are no telephone poles on the north side of the street, and who knows if the electrical service for it is in place.

Most likely this will end up being handled with permanent metal poles, just like the other big streets in the neighborhood. It just takes a little time: Just two years ago, remember, this was just a narrow country lane with ditches that flooded in those heavy rains of Spring, 2007. Such great progess since then! :rolleyes:

I agree, great observation.

• 2 months later...

There are now about 8 lamp-post style streetlights stretching out in front of the main entrance to Southern Trails. They line Broadway from approximately the church down to the Kids-R-Kids. So at least this part of Broadway has additional lighting.

• The title was changed to Broadway FM 518 West Of Kirby Dr.

Archived