METRO Wants To Use Design-Build For Rail

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/3139316

I hope that METRO gets to use design-build for not only the next four lines, but ALL of its expansion. Yes there are delays with d-b, but overall the work is done much faster. One reason the Katy is going to be done much sooner than planned is because it is a d-b project. The engineer who is concerned about small-businesses could bid on the sub-contracted projects after the main projects are contracted out.

Katy Freeway is not a design build project. TxDOT only has two projects that are design build. SH130 and SH45se in Austin are experimentations in design build. TxDOT is liking the process but is very picking with the QA/QC processes.

Katy Freeway's speed is due to the incentives offered for quick construction. The project being build now versus several years from now is due to the toll road component in the center of the freeway.

Metro going design build will be a great asset to quickly buiild new lines.

Katy Freeway is not a design build project.  TxDOT only has two projects that are design build.  SH130 and SH45se in Austin are experimentations in design build.  TxDOT is liking the process but is very picking with the QA/QC processes.

Katy Freeway's speed is due to the incentives offered for quick construction.  The project being build now versus several years from now is due to the toll road component in the center of the freeway.

Metro going design build will be a great asset to quickly buiild new lines.

When is the Katy expected to be completed?

I used to see 2009, but most of the things I've seen recently say 2008 just like the above post.

I think I saw somewhere that the managed lanes will be operative in 2009. Now, 2008 could mean december of 2008 and 2009 could Janurary 2009.

Anyway, the construction is moving along quite quickly with results alread being experienced. West from Hwy 6, the new exits are alread helping. Also, Greenhouse, Westgreens, and Park 10 having access across the freeway helps too.

• The title was changed to METRO Wants To Use Design-Build For Rail