New Florida Marlines Stadium

I watched part of a Marlins game on TV this weekend. There was no one there, not even near half capacity, and that's on a holiday weekend. How does this team make enough money to warrant a new stadium? I guess, maybe, more people would come if they played in a real baseball stadium and not a football one, but I doubt many more. Miami is just not a great sports town.

How does this team make enough money to warrant a new stadium?

They don't. Most of the cost is being paid by the city and county.

I'm happy the design isn't yet another retro job from HOK, although one blog compared it to a bagel slicer.

It's a minor point, but I'm also glad they're changing the name to Miami Marlins.

I watched part of a Marlins game on TV this weekend. There was no one there, not even near half capacity, and that's on a holiday weekend. How does this team make enough money to warrant a new stadium? I guess, maybe, more people would come if they played in a real baseball stadium and not a football one, but I doubt many more. Miami is just not a great sports town.

Was it a day game? Do you know by chance what the temp was?

I've heard the argument is that it's too hot to go to the games and the new roof will change that.

They don't. Most of the cost is being paid by the city and county.

I'm happy the design isn't yet another retro job from HOK, although one blog compared it to a bagel slicer.

It's a minor point, but I'm also glad they're changing the name to Miami Marlins.

It really does look like a slicer when the roofs open. Nice stadium though. They should not build the stadium because I dobt anybody would really care if the marlins even left for some other city becaus no one comes to those games.

The owner tried to play San Antonio against Miami when getting the stadium deal done. It was really a half-assed attempt, SA can't support 82 games at 30k each. However, that's what these guys do. Remember Bud pitting us against Jacksonville? Les was even entertaining Louisville for a bit before the Toyota Center deal went through.

Better alliteration for one thing. ^_^ It's silly, I know, but I have just always thought it was a bit pretentious for teams to adopt the name of an entire state (or in the case of 'Carolina', two states).

Oh, just wondering.

I wonder why they want to change it? I'm sure for marketing reasons since they came into existence before Tampa Bay. I think I like the name change, too.

Was it a day game? Do you know by chance what the temp was?

I've heard the argument is that it's too hot to go to the games and the new roof will change that.

It was a day game, high was mid 80s. But it's always that way in Miami, it's no excuse for averaging less than 10k fans per game. People missed an awesome pitching duel, Santana vs Josh Johnson, the game took just over 2 hours total.

I like the sound of Miami Marlins better.

Oh, just wondering.

I wonder why they want to change it? I'm sure for marketing reasons since they came into existence before Tampa Bay. I think I like the name change, too.

The name change is part of the funding deal. Apparently the city of Miami decided that as long as they were shelling out the bucks they should get credit in the name. That makes perfect sense, but the advertising value will never make up for the cash outlay.

I'm wondering why they couldn't avoid putting a pillar in right-center field, creating seats with an obstructed view.

I like the rails that come out to the side for the roof and say the team name. That looks kinda cool.

Archived