Heights Mechanics

Import Automotive, hands down. It's located on Walton St. between Cavalcade and Patton, so it's in the Brookesmith addition just east of the Heights proper. Alan is absolutely honest and extremely knowledgeable, his rates are quite competitive, and he'll explain all of the repair options for a particular situation in as much detail as you're interested in.

When we first moved into the area about ten years ago, I started going to Master Auto on Yale, but I got PO'd and quit going there when we had a difference of opinion about whether or not I'd explicitly authorized some diagnostic tests and they refused to remove the charges from my bill. I dug around on the net a while, stumbled across a positive mention of Import Automotive, and figured I'd give them a try since they were only a mile or so away from my house. Three Hondas later, I'm still going there. It's in the middle of a residential area, so it's not the kind of place you're likely to run across by chance, and I don't think he does much advertising. I've never asked, but I suspect he gets plenty of business from word of mouth.

One caveat, since you mentioned VWs - last time I was there, he mentioned that he'd essentially had to stop working on the newer VWs because VW had made it increasingly difficult for independent shops to compete with dealers - I don't remember all the details, but I believe it had to do with both exorbitant parts costs and denial of access to some of the factory service databases.

I used to go to Remmert's on 16th just east of Heights. They were good, honest and reasonable.

Thanks for the note on this place.. Its very convenient to my place in case I had to drop the car off and walk home.. Might have to check it out for some long overdue service..

One caveat, since you mentioned VWs - last time I was there, he mentioned that he'd essentially had to stop working on the newer VWs because VW had made it increasingly difficult for independent shops to compete with dealers - I don't remember all the details, but I believe it had to do with both exorbitant parts costs and denial of access to some of the factory service databases.

It is as though someone was reading my mind with this question...

what would you consider 'newer' VWs ??

It is as though someone was reading my mind with this question...

what would you consider 'newer' VWs ??

I'd bet they'll work on it if it's air-cooled. Beyond that, I'm not sure. ;)

All kidding aside, your best bet is to call them (the number's in the link I originally posted) and ask if they'll work on your specific model/year. I don't know if they have a hard cutoff date.

• The title was changed to Heights Mechanics