Mak Chin's - CLOSED (?)

Not a big surpsise. This place was always empty and had a major indentity crisis. Am a a lounge? Am I a resturant? I went there about 5 times. Then they raised all the prices, by like 70 %. Nothing improved. Same folks that own the Mambos chain.

From B4-u-eat newsletter on 4/1/09:

"Nominated as Best Name for a New Restaurant is Shuck Daddy's! Applause, applause. Think oysters: grilled, blackened, and raw! Yum! This is the latest creation from restaurateur Mike Ho, of Mambo Seafood Restaurants and will replace Mak Chin on Shepherd. Our favorite Mambo is at Hillcroft and Bellaire. On a breezy afternoon it feels like Cancun... except for all the Fiesta employees walking over to buy fresh seafood to take home instead of buying it at Fiesta.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We went the night it opened. I too thought the prices were a bit high and the menu somewhat limited. The SO enjoyed a good selection of bottled beer. I had the fried shrimp basket and the shrimp were huge but they were pretty stingy with the fries. We sat outside and they put paper on the tables for some reason and that was a huge pain in ass due to the fact that the paper kept blowing away. Not sure what that is all about... good luck to them.

We went the night it opened. I too thought the prices were a bit high and the menu somewhat limited.

One thing on the prices, I really think the "high price" thing is a product of cajun food (which has always confused me)...not necessarily this place.

Compare prices between ShuckDaddy's, and similar establishments...RajunCajun, Uncle benny's, Capt Tom's, or nearby Floyd's/MardiGras...and Shuck daddy's is definitely cheaper.

-Their (quality) oysters are probably lowest in town/area (not counting RajCaj's happy hour prices)

-Pound of snow crab legs...absolutely cheapest (Red lobster can't even beat ShukDad's price)

In my opinion, the prices are very reasonable, and not counting the great prices on quality Beers as well...none over 3.75$ (I believe)

I've been on a couple of occasions so far, and have enjoyed it. Great po-boys, and really enjoyed the clam chowder.

I'm sure they'll have some growing pains, and the waitstaff seems to not be comfortable yet...but that's all new places.

I'm interested to see a few reviews that will pop up with the Chron/Press etc....and I'll have to read the one posted above.

The place seems like they're trying to merge a Hooters with a Joe's crab shack.... at least that's the impression the web site gives. I wouldn't call that a positive sign. It's also an interesting time to open a place focused on seafood as the summer months usually aren't the best time to eat gulf oysters, gulf shrimp season doesn't start up again until July 15th, and crawfish season is basically over. Something tells me they won't be serving a lot of local and fresh stuff.