Repair or Replace

Not sure if this is the right forum but I wanted to get some opinions.

Our double wall oven is original to the house, it's a GE circa 1993. It still looks OK and ran OK too once we adjusted temperatures and cooking times to the fact that the top oven ran about 200 degrees too cold and the bottom oven about 100 degrees too hot.

Then yesterday I managed to break the bottom oven temperature sensor ( which was already damaged) off completely - result an oven which cooks at maximum temp so is unusable. When I checked the top oven it didn't have a temperature sensor any more either. It doesn't cook hot enough to bake anything.

My husband wants to replace the oven completely. My problem is this: we were planning a kitchen upgrade with more upscale appliances for the future, but right now we don't have the budget for the kind of oven I had wanted. If we buy an oven now, we would pay approx $1500 for something essentially the same as the one we have (if it worked!). I would just want to replace it again when we do upgrade the kitchen.

I am thinking it is probably worth repairing. To fix it am thinking we would need new sensors and possibly the electronics behind the thermostat. How much would I expect to pay for labor for an oven repair and can anyone recommend someone honest and reliable? We live in Katy.

Or, is this a simple job we could do ourselves? The parts seem to available online and I am handy with a screwdriver if it was just a case of pulling the oven out and plugging something in.

Thanks for your help!

As long as some sort of direction is online too, I would say DIY. There is probably at least an exploded view diagram...

Also you could visit a scratch n' dent for some deeply discounted replacements... maybe the one you wanted for the remodel is within your budget at 50% off.

If it ends up being too expensive to fix also check out craigslist for someone that is remodeling their kitchen and upgrading their wall oven. That is exactly how I got one for my mom (and a cooktop too). It lasted long enough until she was ready to replace it with a slide in range instead of a wall oven.

Yeah, if you're going to remodel, it doesn't make any sense to replace it. I am pretty sure you could find the right parts somewhere and pretty sure it would be a fairly simple DIY (ie no soldering) if you can figure out how to get inside of it to the parts that are broken.

Thanks all for the well thought out replies! Much appreciated.

I did find the exploded view online along with the correct part... I decided to go the DIY route, the part is only about $75. If for whatever reason it doesn't work out I'll turn to Craigslist :-)