Houston Over Disney?

97saturn

That's kinda the fustrating part of being a Houstonian, in the sense that I don't understand how we get so much negative publicity from the media about us, and as a result we lose events that we could host anytime we wanted better than anybody else (Super Bowls, Olympics), but at the same time we KNOW already that we kick ass as a place to live, work, and play.

The only reason why tourism sounds good to us Houstonians is because it means people get a chance to actually SEE and feel Houston and understand that the perseptions that we have nothing

Yeah, BayouCityGal, Carlsbad is a rich area. Solana Beach below it is upscale also while Oceanside to the north of both is more funky yet quarters a lot of Navy.

I once applied for a job with the City of Oceanside. On the application, a "loyalty oath" was required. That seems kinda creepy. North County San Diego is sort of the usual liberal sun-fun lifestyle vibe but yet is also very militantly conservative on everything else.

For some reason, it took me a long time to warm up to San Diego while other people seem to love it instantly. To me, as far as cities go, it's a lovely place but still a predictable tourist trap.

I can see why San Diego is overshadowed by L.A. Much closer and much bigger is Los Angeles.

However Houston and Dallas are pretty even, so H-town's being over-shadowed by Big D is undeserved.

Houston is also over-shadowed by Austin, which is even more non-sensical...it's like L.A. being overshadowed by San Diego (or even Sacramento).

But in terms of getting my big city jollies, yes, I do go up to L.A. which I like better than San Diego, but it is harder to live up there. I really miss Houston's Pacifica Radio so it's great when I get L.A.'s Pacifica when I'm up there.

I can tell ya what I like about Houston IS its history:

I mean we were there for people during the 1900 Hurricane

We had our state capital here during Texas's Independence Days

We had the Battle of San Jacinto here

(I love history! ;) )

The first words were spoken on the moon here

Well this girl who WAS a friend (long depressing story wont' go into) lived in Carlsbad and the balcony view was gorgous. The Ex-friend told this one area of San Diego was so stuck up that they fought to keep a Super Walmart from developing on their area because it would ruin the property value.

The girl told me she came from money.

Some people are natural lucky I guess to have money at their disposal!

• 2 years later...

Theme park vacations are so last century. I don't know what's worse, those, or a curise ship vacation.

I rue the day my kids ask to go to Disney. I vow never to return to crap Orlando. Crappy food on the crappy strip. Ugh.

I actually knew adults who went there for their honeymoon.

Orlando is great if you want to bask in the fakeness.

Beaches

Astro World

Pro Sports

Shopping

Splashtown

Water World

Schlitterbahn (not open yet)

(There are more water parks but I can't think of them)

Kemah

NASA

I can go on and on.

My how the list changes, and beaches, really now, gaveston is not know for beaches, and technically, it does not count as Houston.

Orlando is great if you want to bask in the fakeness.

Sign me up again, I loved it.

My how the list changes, and beaches, really now, gaveston is not know for beaches, and technically, it does not count as Houston.

Sign me up again, I loved it.

Well, technically, Disney World doesn't count for Orlando, Six Flags Over Georgia doesn't count for Atlanta and Disneyland doesn't count for Los Angeles.

And, 'Coog, I understand what you mean by the theme parks but Church Street in downtown Orlando is at least decent. More for grownups and has about as much of Orlando's history as you're going to find.

Threw a guy through a window? Are you sure it was Charles Barkley and not the man in my avatar? :lol:

Really though, Charles Barkley threw a man out a window?

When you really think about it, this is how urban legends get started! :lol: Hilarious thought just the same.

Maybe he thought the dude was a basketball and the opened window was a hoop?

He sure did. 1997

http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Charles_Barkley

Although many fans believed Barkley's candor made him one of the NBA's most lovable players, his behavior occasionally backed up his claims, like in the aforementioned 1991-92 season game where he spat on a 9-year old girl, and an incident in Orlando in which he threw a man through a window."

Classy guy.

These days if you are a nice celebrity no one is interested in you. If you get bizarre ie beat people up, overdose yes, run around topless! Thats what we all want to hear! Makes headlines, write a book about the ordeal, make a movie, $ starts flowing in. The all Amercian dream. >:)

Archived