Where'd The Chron Go?

Gooch

...I read print when I lived in Baton Rouge....

Ha...me too, since I learned to read. I dare you to use The Advocate's website. It is the worst thing ever. Every now and again I try to force myself to go there to find some news back home, but it is so bad. They are nowhere near ready to abandon print.

Nice comments Editor. I couldn't agree more it IS about content - always. Some smaller market papers struggle to find newsworth stories. I dont' think that would be a problem in a city the size of HOUTX. But it seems the Chron struggles to do so.

One newspaper I worked at began assembling the Sunday paper on Tuesday because of the inserts.

On of the things the BR Advocate did was take on a long-term issue and cover it in the Sunday edition. That covered the back pages and left the front sections open until the last minute. A few years ago they did an indepth focus on the brain-drain in Louisiana. Each week's Sunday edition devoted an aweful lot of column inches to the story. This feature went on for several months, maybe a year even? It placed an important community issue into the paper. Made it worth taking the time to read, even if it wasn't immediately newsworthy.

Ha...me too, since I learned to read. I dare you to use The Advocate's website. It is the worst thing ever.

Did you read their website before it became "2theadvocate"? It was pretty good back then. Nothing fancy, just a down-the-line list of the same articles included in the print edition. That was pretty good. It's too bloated now. Try going to straight to the "NEWS" page? Never realized what a good job that paper does until I moved here! HA!

Did you read their website before it became "2theadvocate"? It was pretty good back then. Nothing fancy, just a down-the-line list of the same articles included in the print edition. That was pretty good. It's too bloated now. Try going to straight to the "NEWS" page? Never realized what a good job that paper does until I moved here! HA!

I did read it before it was 2theadvocate, it was better. The front page now just seems so disorganized, and most of the links seem like they go to ads or random crap.

huh...I haven't been there since I started using ad-block with Firefox (it's turned off for HAIF!!!), it's much easier to look at. I still don't like it. Even the news page is just a very long, unorganized list with headlines and shorts. I like the chron website's categories better.

I did read it before it was 2theadvocate, it was better. The front page now just seems so disorganized, and most of the links seem like they go to ads or random crap.

huh...I haven't been there since I started using ad-block with Firefox (it's turned off for HAIF!!!), it's much easier to look at. I still don't like it. Even the news page is just a very long, unorganized list with headlines and shorts. I like the chron website's categories better.

You can subscribe on your iPod. It is much leaner content.

People used to say the same thing about black people. Still proud of your -ism?

That they smell funny and have an aversion to technology? No, that's not something I'd say because I haven't observed it among a disproportionate share of that population. Actually, if you break out the consumption patterns of black and white households by level of income and by region, there really aren't very many meaningful differences. It's just that black households tend to be less well off. Is it racist to observe that black people tend to be poorer (sociological fact) and have kinky hair (biological fact), just as it is supposedly ageist to observe that old people tend to have an aversion to technology (sociological fact) and put off strange smells (biological fact)?

If making observations is a form of hatred, then count me as a hate-filled person. I hate everything. In fact, I'm an equal opportunity hater.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of hate; the Chron.com is a good place to go if you hate Metro (rightfully so), minorities, Democrats, Barack Obama, and illegal immigration. The internet has allowed all of those "letters to the editors" that got lost on the way to print to see the light of day.

As for the printed paper, I rarely waste my time on it. Why should I pay more money for less content? These Metro tactics will not work outside of government funded agencies.

Speaking of hate; the Chron.com is a good place to go if you hate Metro (rightfully so), minorities, Democrats, Barack Obama, and illegal immigration. The internet has allowed all of those "letters to the editors" that got lost on the way to print to see the light of day.

As for the printed paper, I rarely waste my time on it. Why should I pay more money for less content? These Metro tactics will not work outside of government funded agencies.

It's Chron.com that 'allowed all of those "letters to the editors" that got lost on the way to print to see the light of day.' - Of course if you see people blatantly violate the TOS, don't hesitate to report their posts.

Archived