Sammy's Bar At 2016 Main St.

good luck in that location, this look like a good fit.  i'm starting to think this spot has some bad mojo. a little like the numerous failed restaurants at hazard and westheimer.

dream

Agreed. Hopefully Sammy has a following large enough to make this a success. I have seen him and his band play the Galant Knight and thought they were great. Good Luck. I hope he got a good deal on that locations, because everything that opens in there dies a pretty fast death.

i respectfully disagree. This space was a famous jazz club for many years in the 70's, then it was a successful white table cloth restaurant for many years. Recently Sidelines went in and their failure was two fold. first their main partner was called over to Iraq and second they did not have a real draw. I would be the first to admit that this is a destination location, but Sammy is a destination performer and is well known throughout houston. He is going to be "Mr Main Street" and will be a catalyst for activity in the area. Come see for yourself Satuday.

And anyone who I represent always gets a great deal:)

so how was opening weekend? did sammy overcome the sidelines jinx?

dream

Sammy's was rocking. The official grand opening is this Saturday, April 23rd. If you missed last week, put it on the list for this weekend. It would be nice if Sammy would hit the stage a little earlier but that's the way he's always been. New back up band was solid. However....they opened up with "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson....might want to pick a new opener considering the current issues surrounding MJ.

See y'all on Saturday.

Locals

the bar will be open friday, but without live music and hell be on this saturday around 10. that wasnt billie jean, it was "ride like the wind"

Place was packed with no advertising at all (except for my post on this board and it looks like Locals was the only one who read about it - thanks for coming).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you see this in the Press? What a review!!!

THE NIGHTFLY

Sammy's Way

A former Gallant Knight singer hopes to conquer downtown with his own club

By Brian McManus

Published: Thursday, May 12, 2005

Sammy Relford is killing the stage! His face, slick with sweat, is permanently locked in a passionate scowl as he scans the enthusiastic audience for approval. The stage gel lights change from red to blue to green -- each color bouncing off his wet head in turn. Eyes open wildly, arms spread wide like a condor from outer space, he looks like Screamin' Jay Hawkins without the bone in his nose. Meanwhile, his patent-leather wing tips spring back and forth like he's walking in wet mud or running the tire drill at football practice.

***Edited to remove copyrighted content***

• 1 month later...

I was at Sammy's last Saturday for the second time. My only complaint is hte $10.00 cover because Sammy is not on long enough. He only played 2 sets - the 1st sarted at 12:00am and he played 5 songs, then he played from 1:30 -2:00am.

But I must say, Sammy packs the beautiful girls in the place.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Sammy's Bar At 2016 Main St.