What Inspires You?

Guest Professional Hornblower

I stumbled upon this site upon hearing about the proposed museum expansion. It was invigorating to hear that Architecture conversation once again has been brought to the forefront of the Houston media. I clearly remember, as if it were yesterday, the process of selecting Mies for the third addition of the MFA. It was quite a contested debate and most do not realize that Frank Llyod Wright was almost commisioned for the expansion.

Obviously everyone here has an interest in architecture and the built environment or they would be here. I would like to ask, why?

My question (s) for THIS FORUM is:

"what inspired your interest in this forum"?

"what type of city would you like to see Houston become"? and

"how do you feel about the role of the private sector and city government in ultimately determining the shape of a city"?

Share as much as you like, through the years I've enjoyed hearing peoples' viewpoints, ideas, and dreams.

Thanks

"how do you feel about the role of the private sector and city government in ultimately determining the shape of a city"?

I stumbled (Googled) across HAIF last year while looking for information about the light rail on Main St. To my pleasure, I discovered that other people too are architecture/city planning nerds. Having an opportunity to share opinions and observations has validated and strengthened some of my beliefs. Viewing others' beliefs has challenged and altered my own, and have given me a better appreciation and respect for differing views.

I'd like to see Houston become a more beautiful, efficient city while retaining its vitality and inclusiveness. We must balance a healthy business and industrial climate with quality of life issues. Sprawl and refineries built this city; they could bring it down, too.

Neither the private sector nor the government exist in a vacuum. Property rights must be balanced with social responsibility. Homeowner and neighborhood associations have taken over much of what is accomplished by government in other cities; however, they too are capable of corruption and abuse of power. So long as people are educated, informed and involved, our tax dollars can be spent wisely, and sensible private investment rewarded.

i thought dbigtex's answer was so rightous the topic could be closed - i also thought the reply about his being insincere was just a dry display of sarcastic humor, like, "go on, tell us how you REALLY feel". now i'm confused.

deb martin

i thought dbigtex's answer was so rightous the topic could be closed - i also thought the reply about his being insincere was just a dry display of sarcastic humor, like, "go on, tell us how you REALLY feel".  now i'm confused.

deb martin

Dean Martin- yes, you are correct.

How about anyone else, what inspired you to frequent this forum?

i found HAIF randomly on several google searches, realized i should keep an eye on it if i wanted to stay current with new developments/happenings/anything in houston. i really don't know much about some of the topics on here and i was gone for several years, so i've learned a lot.

also it's nice to communicate with people that actually like houston, since all my friends think we're bunch of "fat cowboys"

I was looking for Info online about the Original Jefferson Davis Hospital and buildings from the same time frame around the Houston and Harris county region, when I came across this site. I was hooked immediatly.

I would love to see this city begin to redevelop the inner parts and still retain the property at a reasonable price for the average person. I also want it to keep its charm and look. I really hate new new current plain boxy look of todays buildings. They have all the charm of a plain card board box.

I am most likely reading this wrong but Personnaly I think everyone should have a SAY. What I do not like is the lack of zoning in Houston nor how the vast majority of the houses are being built with no character at all. Row after row of identical houses with poor construction. Not good. What ever happened to the good ole days where the builders actually took pride in their work?