Where to buy decent furniture

I've recently moved to Houston and need to furnish a whole house. Does anybody have any recommendations of good furniture stores, i.e. good quality furniture which doesn't cost the earth.

I've tried Star furniture but a lot of the furniture in there was too ornate for my liking;

I've looked at Rooms to go. I saw some things I liked. Does anybody have any idea of the quality?

Somebody has recommended Macy's Clearance Center - does anybody know where this is?

Please feel free to recommend other places.

Thanks

lockwood and 45south

Do you like new? is vintage an option?

I really want new and because I have two children under 4 I'd like something that's going to wear well.

People may recommend The Dump, but I cannot agree. Somehow it still seems overpriced to me.

Gallery Furniture is still popular. Sometimes I go trolling The Guild Shop or Bluebird Circle for well-kept pieces.

Somehow I can't get my head round The Dump. I hear the adverts all the time which are really annoying and I'd imagined the store to be full of rubbish - just my perception of it!

There's a kind of furniture row out on Fondren south of Westheimer. A few chains and lots of smaller retailers; a variety of price points and quality. Google search for furniture in Houston and include "Fondren" as one of your search terms. You'll see there's quite a list, but it's probably more useful if you're just looking for something specific. If you need a whole houseful, you may find it too time-consuming to shop that way.

I think Rooms To Go is probably average quality. Won't be good enough to hand down to future generations, but good enough to last until you tire of it. Another similar outfit: Room Store (www.roomstore.com). If your taste is a little less conventional try Home Source. No website that I know of, but they have a store on Post Oak and a warehouse out on Sam Houston Prkwy.

I really want new and because I have two children under 4 I'd like something that's going to wear well.

most of the newer furniture isn't solid wood. i just located an article regarding furniture quality from a couple of yrs ago i remember reading. hope this provides some insight. i can summarize for those who dont care to read. stay away from crate and barrel, pottery barn, etc if you want quality.

I purchased solid walnut furniture from Crate and Barrel (designer Maria Yee). Certainly a step up from most of the engineered wood furniture I saw at most of the furniture stores. And still affordable ($1300 for a coffee table and end table).

And well made furniture doesn't have to be made out of solid wood. It sounds like the OP wants something affordable, yet able to withstand a couple of toddlers. Do your research before you buy (look for the manufacturer's label on the furniture and go home and do some research).

I like solid wood, that's why most of the pieces that I have purchased are solid wood, but I also have a wood veneered dining room table.

We purchased a sofa from Chic Warehouse that was the same as the one we coveted from Crate and Barrel, but had a lot more fabric options, and cost less. They are on Yale in the Heights. We have also had good luck with Z Gallerie and Eurway (very contemporary, but good for accent pieces and knock-off classics).

Archived