Looking to Refinance Car

Hi,

Looking to refinance my used car, bought in 11/2007. Right now my interest rate is 8.25 and my monthly is around $1300. Right now the loan is through the dealership, my mistake which I'm trying to move away from.

My credit is above 700 so credit is not a problem. I've already received a quote of 6.50% for 60 months from my credit union and found a 4.99% for 60 months online.

Just want to know if anyone one else knows of reputable credit union/banks offering better rates, or if there is a reliable search engine online to find good rates in the Houston area.

thx

Looking to refinance my used car, bought in 11/2007. Right now my interest rate is 8.25 and my monthly is around $1300. Right now the loan is through the dealership, my mistake which I'm trying to move away from.

You're paying 1300/month for a used car? Forget about refinancing; you need to sell this car immediately and get something with about $500 or less per month payment.

Ok, I really like the car and yes I can afford it. i just want to a) lower the monthly note cause I want more play money B) try to get a better interest rate if possible.

Just trying to find the best interest rate deal in town.

No offense, but If you are paying $1300 a month for a used car at 8.25% interest than you can't afford it. That or you have no common sense.

Ouch, to say it better if you can afford those payments and interest on a used car you could have afforded to buy it on the spot with cash with a little planning.

Edited by westguy76

like I said, maybe I should have left the monthly note detail. I'll open up another thread on getting advice from others on what I can afford for another time, since it's a totally different topic from what I'm asking here.

In the mean time, anybody got leads on good interest rates around town?

No offense, but If you are paying $1300 a month for a used car at 8.25% interest than you can't afford it. That or you have no common sense.

Ouch, to say it better if you can afford those payments and interest on a used car you could have afforded to buy it on the spot with cash with a little planning.

Hey, now... Maybe qwerty's priorities are different from yours. You don't know anything about this guy. How do you know he can't afford it? Maybe he's making tradeoffs elsewhere because he really likes his car. You can't begrudge him that. Besides, in the high-end used car market, you sometimes have to act quick when a car comes to market that meets your exacting criteria and that's priced well.

He already admitted that it was his mistake to finance through the dealership. He made a mistake, he knows it, he's trying to fix it, now lay off him.

^Yes correct, this is about finding a lower interest rate, not the cost or current payment amount.

I'll rescind my earlier comment about bailing on the loan completely and add that it seems you found a good deal with the 4.99 - my credit union rate schedule starts at 3.99 for refinancing, but it also depends on the year of the car..

Maybe look for something less than 60 months, too?

It depends on the months. If there isn't much of a rate difference from a 60 month or a 48 month, then I'm inclined to take the 60 month, knowing if I come across bonus money I could just use that towards the principal and that will shorten my maturity date.

that 3.99 sounds great, care to list the phone number of your credit union?

Definitely try to get out of that deal - owing and paying that much (plus interest) on a depreciating asset seems like a bad financial situation..

Refinancing for 5 years is an even worse prospect than his current arrangement. As a former car salesman, I cringe when I hear this kind of thing.

Sure, re-financing at a lower rate is a good idea, but do 36 months, or 48 months tops. I mean hell, this car was already a used car in November of 2007! You'll probably still lower your payment.

Edited by kylejack

It depends on the months. If there isn't much of a rate difference from a 60 month or a 48 month, then I'm inclined to take the 60 month, knowing if I come across bonus money I could just use that towards the principal and that will shorten my maturity date.

that 3.99 sounds great, care to list the phone number of your credit union?

I'll send a message to you with the link

I'll send a message to you with the link

thanks got it. Unfortunately my car is 2003, bumps it up 5.49 at a minimum.

Refinancing for 5 years is an even worse prospect than his current arrangement. As a former car salesman, I cringe when I hear this kind of thing.

Sure, re-financing at a lower rate is a good idea, but do 36 months, or 48 months tops. I mean hell, this car was already a used car in November of 2007! You'll probably still lower your payment.

Please tell me why it's worse to go 60 months if it substantially lowers my monthly and the interest rate difference between a 48 and 60 is minuscule. Plus if I come across bonus money in the future I can apply it to the principal and the maturity date lessens.

Let's say I was quoted 4.80% interest rate for 48 months, and was quoted 4.99% for 60 months. Is it worth it to go for the 48 months even though my monthly note will be lower with the 60 month? I know in the end I will ultimately pay more with the 60 month, but it seems negligible.

Edited by qwerty

Please tell me why it's worse to go 60 months if it substantially lowers my monthly and the interest rate difference between a 48 and 60 is minuscule.

Because finance charges on the same interest rate for 60 months are significantly more than those for 48 months or 36 months, and because you're just going to compound your upside-down problem pushing your payoff for a 2003 vehicle to 2014.

Plus if I come across bonus money in the future I can apply it to the principal and the maturity date lessens.

I don't see why you would do that when your only priority seems to be lowering your payment.

Let's say I was quoted 4.80% interest rate for 48 months, and was quoted 4.99% for 60 months. Is it worth it to go for the 48 months even though my monthly note will be lower with the 60 month? I know in the end I will ultimately pay more with the 60 month, but it seems negligible.

Yes, because that's an entire year of payments that you won't have to make.

Just because YOU wouldn't pay that amount ,because it ain't in your beer budget, doesn't mean that this person can't. qwerty, if you can get that 4.99% you need to jump all over it. That is as low as it gets. There are no 0% on used ANYTHING. It just doesn't happen. Even that 6.5% is pretty solid for a little over 700 beacon score these days. How do I know ? I am in the used car business.

BTW, take the 60 months, I am sure your refinance loan will be simple interest, so you can ALWAYS pay more on it, and pay it off early, but if something should effect you in this economy, you have something to fall back on, i.e. lower payment.

Edited by TJones