KIKK Radio

WillowBend56

Wonder why that was...a Houston location, but a Pasadena school. Never heard of that before. That's where a lot of people went, when they moved out of my neighborhood. Those sandpits were talked about alot. What years were you there?

KIKK also reminds me of KENR, that other country station.

And sometime in the mid 70s KNUZ converted to county. KIKK and KENR were AM, KIKK-FM and KNUZ were FM.

joe

Edited by texianjoe

I believe Dobie was built before Houston annexed the area. We were right at the edge of Houston. I never understood why PISD was involved, though. I was there in the late 70s, early 80s.

That was the same time I was at Milby.

I believe Dobie was built before Houston annexed the area. We were right at the edge of Houston. I never understood why PISD was involved, though. I was there in the late 70s, early 80s.

School district boundaries have nothing to do with city limit lines. They can go anywhere and they can even spill over into neighboring municipalities.

The Pasadena ISD spilled out of Pasadena long ago in the 1950s with the building of South Houston HS and JHS, which are in South Houston. Then came Dobie HS, which was in an unincorporated area for a time until Houston annexed it. It's in Houston, but it's still a Pasadena ISD school.

There are any number of other examples. For example, Bellaire HS is in Bellaire, but it's in the HISD. The Houston ISD lines go outside the Houston city limit lines in several areas. A bunch of CyFair ISD schools are inside Houston. Several Clear Creek ISD schools are in Houston by virtue of Houston annexing the Clear Lake City area in the 1970s.

Edited by FilioScotia

In the 1970s, station KIKK promoted itself with bumper stickers which boldly proclaimed, " I'm a KiKKer" or "I'm proud to be a KiKKer." (The Ks were in cowboy boot form.) Has the station changed its broadcast format since then?

KIKK remained country (although tweaking their format, first to Texas-centric country, then to "Young Country"), up until the early 2000s when the station flipped to smooth jazz. They recently flipped to dance/top 40 and are now known as "Hot 95.7".

KILT (which is still country) used to be rock. When I was young, there was a rock demographic split between KLOL and KILT. They both played Led Zep and Neil Young, but KLOL played more Skynyrd and Hatchet, and KILT started playing Elvis Costello and B-52s every once in a while. I lashed my teenage identity to KILT, of course, and was crestfallen when my clock radio went off one morning and C&W was blaring out at me. I'd never experienced a format change before, and it was devastating.

KILT (which is still country) used to be rock. When I was young, there was a rock demographic split between KLOL and KILT. They both played Led Zep and Neil Young, but KLOL played more Skynyrd and Hatchet, and KILT started playing Elvis Costello and B-52s every once in a while. I lashed my teenage identity to KILT, of course, and was crestfallen when my clock radio went off one morning and C&W was blaring out at me. I'd never experienced a format change before, and it was devastating.

Ah, clock radio memories of KILT!

Did they air a syndicated billboard top ten show at night, say 75-77, with a dj called 'the catfish', or was that another station?

My formative junior-high years were spent with KILT. And the heads.

Ah, clock radio memories of KILT!

Did they air a syndicated billboard top ten show at night, say 75-77, with a dj called 'the catfish', or was that another station?

I don't recall. All I remember is that Dana Steele had a late night show there in the late 70s and one night I requested "Sugar Mountain" and she played it.

Dayna Steele -- unplugged

All you Boomer and Gen-X K-101 fans may be interested to know that Dayna Steele is still "out there", making a good living with her national reputation as a motivational speaker and writer.

She's one really great lady. I'm proud to say we once worked in the same building at 510 Lovett -- me at KTRH -- she at KLOL -- but I will always regret not getting to know her.

Here's her website: http://www.daynasteele.com/

Check her out on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/daynasteele

Edited by FilioScotia

I remember when KILT was rock...my dad had a white fold-out album with info. on the disc jockeys in it. I believe it was top 40's of the time, 1960's, I guess. Green Tamborine was one song listed.

I remember when KILT was rock...my dad had a white fold-out album with info. on the disc jockeys in it. I believe it was top 40's of the time, 1960's, I guess. Green Tamborine was one song listed.

I think my dad's got the same album you're talking about...does it feature Hudson and Harrigan inside?

Of all my dad's albums, I don't recall that one being one of my favorites. I never got into his Bloodrock album, either... :P

I think my dad's got the same album you're talking about...does it feature Hudson and Harrigan inside?

Of all my dad's albums, I don't recall that one being one of my favorites. I never got into his Bloodrock album, either... :P

I actually have that album around here, somewhere. Yes, it does feature Hudson & Harrigan. My dad had quite a variety in his collection of albums: soundtracks (Henry Mancini, James Bond theme), 50's thru 70's rock, country, R&B, etc. One album was some kind of Jazzy Fifties music called Exotica, used to scare me looking at it, had a shrunken head on the cover, really freaky. But the music is nice, I like jazz & R&B. I still call cd's "albums" sometimes and miss the artwork on them.

Edited by NenaE

I actually have that album around here, somewhere. Yes, it does feature Hudson & Harrigan. My dad had quite a variety in his collection of albums: soundtracks (Henry Mancini, James Bond theme), 50's thru 70's rock, country, R&B, etc. One album was some kind of Jazzy Fifties music called Exotica, used to scare me looking at it, had a shrunken head on the cover, really freaky. But the music is nice, I like jazz & R&B. I still call cd's "albums" sometimes and miss the artwork on them.

I have to thank my dad for giving me much of my musical taste. I think I first started listening to his albums after all the "devil music" stories I heard at Easthaven Baptist. You know, the stories about AC/DC ("After Christ, Devil Comes") and how you could hear satanic messages if you played Beatles and Led Zeppelin records backwards. Of course, having had no previous interest in the Beatles or Led Zeppelin, I immediately went home and spent hours playing my dad's albums backwards, listening for satanic messages. Having failed to hear any satanic messages, I started playing the records forwards and realized there was some pretty good stuff there...at least on the White Album and Sgt. Pepper's.

After my aunt told me how my dad got kicked out of the house for playing Jimi Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner" from Woodstock, I had to hear for myself what that was about too!

Speaking of album art, my favorite of my dad's collection was the Cheech and Chong "Los Cochinos" album...funny stuff (and the comedy was pretty good too!)

Outside Cover:

Cheech--Chong-Los-Cochinos-220995.jpg

Inside (dust jacket):

loscochinoscdback.jpg

Of course, as kid the Woodstock album was kinda cool with the butt-nekkid people all over it! ^_^

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

Here's the ones I remember, see what I mean...scared us kids...http://www.amazon.com/Taboo-Exotic-Sounds-...n/dp/B000005Z65 (he also had the one with the lady and the bamboo), the exotic Arthur Lyman & exciting Martin Denny.

I always liked Santana, Guess Who,...my dad also introduced me to Motown, Diana Ross & the Supremes, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, The Drifters, etc. just love it all, mostly the old stuff.

Edited by NenaE

i remember getting that album in 7th grade. it was called kilt gold. it had pictures of the dj's and lots of the top 40 hits.

i did a drillteam routine to green tambourine in 6th grade. we used real tambourines and we thought we were the coolest drillteam at FUN football.

anyone remember FUN football? i was a raiderette for the raiders who were mostly red elementary students.

Bloodrock from Paschal High, Fort Worth Texas! My cousin hung out with them and Joe Don Looney.

I was a jock but my neighbor was a stone-cold KIKKer: 1966 Chevy pick'em up truck with a "I'm Proud to be a KIKKer" sticker as well as a "Better a Roper Than a Doper" sticker. Gun rack in the cab with an axe handle on it.

YeHaw!

Edited by Retama

• The title was changed to KIKK Radio