Katy HOV = 10 miles of speed trap

I couldn't have been happier when I-10 opened up last October. It's a beautiful thing, and has saved me almost an hour of commuting a day over 290. What I don't like is what I'm seeing on the new HOV section. Now I'm all for patrol and making sure there are no violators, but it seems the enforcement of speed is getting borderline oppressive. In the last three weeks, not a day has gone by where there haven't been a minimum of 4-5 cars stopped in a 5-6 mile stretch. Yesterday was a new low as I watched officers actually walk out into the middle of the HOV lanes and stop traffic to write them tickets. I was in the mainlanes doing about 65 and the people who were stopped weren't doing much more than that. Is there a zero tolerance policy on the HOV for speeding, or are they exploiting a somewhat captive audience to generate revenue to pay for the project? Either way, I'm almost better off driving on the mainlanes as I see very little enforcement done there. Ugh, sorry to rant...just annoys me when I see things like this.

It's only a speedtrap if you're speeding. And then only if you're going 3+ over the limit. 60 - 65 mph at rush hour is really not a bad deal. Remember what it used to be like?

I really wish that they would have some enforcement in the mainlanes. I generally keep in the second lane from the right on the Katy freeway. On some days I find that people - most people - are probably doing 75 mph. When I'm going eastbound inside the Belt, I have to get three lanes over to the left if I want to continue on I-10. I am certainly not a timid driver, but I think that I might someday be forced to exit to 610 because so many people are driving agressively here. It's like they have a build in need to be nervous on the road; when all the congestion is taken away from a freeway, they must do something to compensate and get their adrenaline fix.

When the rest of traffic is doing 75mph and you have a few people doing 65mph or less, it will slow the whole freeway down. That's why people get frustrated and drive agressively. At least you are considerate and stay to the right if you are travelling slower, but left lane enforcement needs to be stepped up. Go with the flow people, it makes everyone's lives easier.

It's only a speedtrap if you're speeding. And then only if you're going 3+ over the limit. 60 - 65 mph at rush hour is really not a bad deal. Remember what it used to be like?

I really wish that they would have some enforcement in the mainlanes. I generally keep in the second lane from the right on the Katy freeway. On some days I find that people - most people - are probably doing 75 mph. When I'm going eastbound inside the Belt, I have to get three lanes over to the left if I want to continue on I-10. I am certainly not a timid driver, but I think that I might someday be forced to exit to 610 because so many people are driving agressively here. It's like they have a build in need to be nervous on the road; when all the congestion is taken away from a freeway, they must do something to compensate and get their adrenaline fix.

I wish a heartfelt fiery death on all the drivers who think the laws of physics don't apply to them, and lane jump at 75-80 mph in heavy traffic.

In my case it's every morning on the gulf freeway before the left lane 59 split. There are a sea of brake lights from Scott St to the split, but it doesn't stop the fast and furious. I've been rear-ended twice in 2 years, both times lucky my car wasn't totalled and I wasn't injured. I'm quite tired of hearing the squeal of tires and looking into my rearview to see someone clearly straining to make their car stop before impact.

Get off the phone and control your speed, assholes.

I couldn't have been happier when I-10 opened up last October. It's a beautiful thing, and has saved me almost an hour of commuting a day over 290. What I don't like is what I'm seeing on the new HOV section. Now I'm all for patrol and making sure there are no violators, but it seems the enforcement of speed is getting borderline oppressive. In the last three weeks, not a day has gone by where there haven't been a minimum of 4-5 cars stopped in a 5-6 mile stretch. Yesterday was a new low as I watched officers actually walk out into the middle of the HOV lanes and stop traffic to write them tickets. I was in the mainlanes doing about 65 and the people who were stopped weren't doing much more than that. Is there a zero tolerance policy on the HOV for speeding, or are they exploiting a somewhat captive audience to generate revenue to pay for the project? Either way, I'm almost better off driving on the mainlanes as I see very little enforcement done there. Ugh, sorry to rant...just annoys me when I see things like this.

I think I agree with you that the focus should be less on the freeway and more on the surface roads (where I think reckless mindless speeding is much more dangerous), if that's the point you're trying to make - but why is it a problem if you're not speeding? Like most traffic stops, the cops usually find lots of outstanding warrants and other violations as a "bonus", so I don't think speed enforcement is bad in and of itself. And if you're speeding in the HOV you should get a ticket anyway for being so stupid to not realize you're a fish in a barrel.

Now I'll tell you what makes me batty about that HOV lane - why in the world is it "closed" on weekends? What's the point? The cops are already there pulling people over for violating the "closure" anyway, so it's not like they don't have the resources for enforcement, nor do they have dedicate someone to opening and closing the gates like they do on other HOV lanes around town. THAT is where I think the "trap" is on that freeway.

Now I'll tell you what makes me batty about that HOV lane - why in the world is it "closed" on weekends? What's the point?

The 'HOV lanes' are closed on the weekends because it is not peak driving hours. Once the tolls are in place these lanes will be open 24 hrs a day. Of course the 'HOV lanes' will only be applicable for those 12 hours a day Mon-Fri that are in place now. If I understand correctly (I think I do), even if you have 2+ in your car on a Saturday or 10PM on a Friday, you would be paying a toll for using those lanes.

The 'HOV lanes' are closed on the weekends because it is not peak driving hours. Once the tolls are in place these lanes will be open 24 hrs a day. Of course the 'HOV lanes' will only be applicable for those 12 hours a day Mon-Fri that are in place now. If I understand correctly (I think I do), even if you have 2+ in your car on a Saturday or 10PM on a Friday, you would be paying a toll for using those lanes.

Oh, I get that completely. Still doesn't make sense why they can't just leave the lanes open right now. It just seems silly and bureaucratic.

When the rest of traffic is doing 75mph and you have a few people doing 65mph or less, it will slow the whole freeway down. That's why people get frustrated and drive agressively. At least you are considerate and stay to the right if you are travelling slower, but left lane enforcement needs to be stepped up. Go with the flow people, it makes everyone's lives easier.

Frustrated because they have to slow down to 65 mph for awhile, then speed back up? (BTW, the speed limit in most of the reconstructed mainlanes is 60 mph, not 65 mph). If they get frustrated that easily, they need to re-evaluate how seriously they take their driving (with the assistantance of law enforcement, of course) and maybe take up a hobby.

Edited by ig2ba

No, because it causes a ripple effect that slows the entire freeway down. I don't know why this concept of going with the flow is so difficult to understand. I don't drive agressively but I sure get ticked when someone is causing the problem. There is a difference between keeping traffic moving and driving agressively. Oh, my hobby? Racing ;)

Frustrated because they have to slow down to 65 mph for awhile, then speed back up? (BTW, the speed limit in most of the reconstructed mainlanes is 60 mph, not 65 mph). If they get frustrated that easily, they need to re-evaluate how seriously they take their driving (with the assistantance of law enforcement, of course) and maybe take up a hobby.

post-5833-1233172622_thumb.png

No, because it causes a ripple effect that slows the entire freeway down. I don't know why this concept of going with the flow is so difficult to understand. I don't drive agressively but I sure get ticked when someone is causing the problem. There is a difference between keeping traffic moving and driving agressively. Oh, my hobby? Racing ;)

So how fast is too fast? If traffic is moving at 120mph, should you just go with the flow?

I wish a heartfelt fiery death on all the drivers who think the laws of physics don't apply to them, and lane jump at 75-80 mph in heavy traffic.

In my case it's every morning on the gulf freeway before the left lane 59 split. There are a sea of brake lights from Scott St to the split, but it doesn't stop the fast and furious. I've been rear-ended twice in 2 years, both times lucky my car wasn't totalled and I wasn't injured. I'm quite tired of hearing the squeal of tires and looking into my rearview to see someone clearly straining to make their car stop before impact.

Get off the phone and control your speed, assholes.

I hate that section of 45. I get on there sometimes from UH and it never fails to be exciting.

Instead of living way out there perhaps y'all should move to One Park Place... THE residence of choice downtown because its 346 residences offer 14 floor plans with finishes typical of high-end condominiums, spectacular views, a nearly one-acre resort-style pool area, a grand terrace overlooking the park and retail spaces.

So how fast is too fast? If traffic is moving at 120mph, should you just go with the flow?

If you know where, in this country, traffic moves at 120 mph, please let me know so I can move there! :D

I've always thought, as a rule of thumb, that it starts actually getting dangerous at about 15 over the posted limit. If you're pulled over for fewer than ten over, that's chicken manure in my opinion.

The rules of the freeway are very simple. Keep up with the traffic in front of you. If you can't keep up with the traffic in front of you then move to the right. If your already in the right lane and still can't keep up with the traffic in front of you than you should seriously consider just riding the bus.

The rules of the freeway are very simple. Keep up with the traffic in front of you. If you can't keep up with the traffic in front of you then move to the right. If your already in the right lane and still can't keep up with the traffic in front of you than you should seriously consider just riding the bus.

Quite true, but what about the 10% or so of drivers who absolutely MUST go faster than everyone else around them? How do they fit into the rule of the freeway? Traffic normally moves 70-75 mph on that stretch of freeway outside of rush hour as it is and there is always 1-2 cars a minute that fly by (weaving in and out of all lanes) going 80+ or even 90+. How fast is too fast and when does that become a hazard? I think that's the question being discussed.

Instead of living way out there perhaps y'all should move to One Park Place... THE residence of choice downtown because its 346 residences offer 14 floor plans with finishes typical of high-end condominiums, spectacular views, a nearly one-acre resort-style pool area, a grand terrace overlooking the park and retail spaces.

Ma'am/Sir, your comments are out of line! You've overstepped your boundries this time. :D

Quite true, but what about the 10% or so of drivers who absolutely MUST go faster than everyone else around them? How do they fit into the rule of the freeway? Traffic normally moves 70-75 mph on that stretch of freeway outside of rush hour as it is and there is always 1-2 cars a minute that fly by (weaving in and out of all lanes) going 80+ or even 90+. How fast is too fast and when does that become a hazard? I think that's the question being discussed.

No, you put those speeders on the HOV where they belong. Then you pull the buses off the HOV and put them in the far right lane on the regular highway.

That's an extreme example, but yeah it can happen and I do see it happen, just not on the Katy Freeway yet. It happens more often where there are only a few lanes.

But what you've really just shown is that people also shouldn't exceed the speed of the normal flow of traffic. While I would like to go a little faster on the Katy Freeway - and the speed limit COULD be set higher - it's completely unreasonable to assume that a long line of cars merging from the feeder in an major urban area, including buses, 18-wheelers, pickups towing trailers, etc., should be merging onto the freeway at a speed approaching 75 mph. While speed limits are sometimes unreasonable, most of the time they are set pretty close to what is reasonable.

I can't even drive 1-2 above the limit in the rightmost lane without some people riding my ass and making gestures and telling me to GTFOOMW!!! If you are one of the people that has the expectation of going fast-like 80 mph, do it in the 2 leftmost lanes and slow down slightly each time you move a lane to the right. It's completely doable. I know, I used to be one of those drivers. ;)

I'm just saying that I think they should patrol a little bit in the mainlanes, that's all.

Oh, and the Florida Turnpike at least used to be a place where many, many people would cruise over 100 mph. It can be a pretty empty drive between Orlando and Port St. Lucie.

Edited by ig2ba

BTW, HCTRA was granted an exemption to the 8-county environmental speed limit of 65 mph. They are allowed to set their speed limits to 70 mph if they wish; they just haven't done it yet.

How solidly based in science is the 65mph limit anyway? Aren't most of the speed limits on Houston freeways 5mph below what they were in the in the 90s?

There used to be many more 70mph zones, then everything was dropped down to 55mph to "help relieve pollution," until a study came out showing that modern cars don't suffer nearly as steep a decrease in mpg & increase in pollution as cars 30 years ago did. Then the limits were raised back up, but to 5mph below what they were previously. Like they didn't want to totally admit it was a shortsighted, silly move in the first place.

Edited by ihop

How solidly based in science is the 65mph limit anyway? Aren't most of the speed limits on Houston freeways 5mph below what they were in the in the 90s?

There used to be many more 70mph zones, then everything was dropped down to 55mph to "help relieve pollution," until a study came out showing that modern cars don't suffer nearly as steep a decrease in mpg & increase in pollution as cars 30 years ago did. Then the limits were raised back up, but to 5mph below what they were previously. Like they didn't want to totally admit it was a shortsighted, silly move in the first place.

No, I'm positive that 65 is not THE best speed. I mean, what are the odds that the optimum speed limit for every speed limit is divisible by 5?!? :P

But I was basically saying that (with the exception of the brief 2002 8-county wide 55 mph limit, the national 55 mph speed limit, and I'm sure I could find other exceptions), speed limits are generally pretty reasonable; sometimes they are too low, and they are even too high on occasion. I-10 inside the beltway could not reasonably be raised to 75 mph or probably even 70 mph. Inside the beltway, the speed limit hasn't been 70 mph for a long, long time (at least 1970s or before). From 1995 to 2002, the speed limit was 65 mph in the "urban area" stretches of the freeways - basically inside the Beltway.

On the emissions part for newer cars, you are correct. However, TCEQ did find an emissions drop in large trucks - either because they were actually complying with the new limit more or because large trucks become much more inefficient as they speed up over 55 mph. So, the 65 mph was heralded as a compromise, retaining some of the emissions reduction from trucks and having cars go a reasonable speed (i.e., not 55 mph, say in northern Montgomery County).

Oh, and the Florida Turnpike at least used to be a place where many, many people would cruise over 100 mph. It can be a pretty empty drive between Orlando and Port St. Lucie.

I drove to orlando...On i 75 boy that was nuts! i was going 80 and cars where tailgating me in the right lanes!

• The title was changed to Katy HOV = 10 miles of speed trap