Addicks Reservoir

John Rich

Wrong. The whole area is NOT a public park. The only park area is Bear Creek Park, on the northern edge of the Addicks Reservoir area. The park is owned by Harris County and IS a public area.

The rest of the Addicks Reservoir is controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers, which built the dam and maintains the area behind it for flood control purposes. If somebody in a uniform tells me to get off the military's property, I would do as he says.

It's public property, but not an active military installation. As citizens, we have a right to be there, on our property. Just like all the BLM land in the West. When I worked in California, we were told by the BLM that we couldn't stop people from wandering around the oil field on BLM land

"The box" looks like an old barbecue pit to me. You see similar styles even in modern campgrounds, and the blackened interior seals it for me.

That old concrete box look like a similar structure I once saw on the back of an old smoke house in West Texas many years ago. With the larger part in front it just kind of fits.

As for the concrete structure up off the ground I also feel that it once held a water barrel or something to supply water pressure. It might have been attached to a wash house at some point. Just my 2 cents on this subject.

I'll support the smokehouse idea for that open concrete box thing. My aunt and uncle retired to land in East Texas that included a very old homestead (probably early 20th century) that had a similar structure. He told me it was a smokehouse.

Wrong. The whole area is NOT a public park. The only park area is Bear Creek Park, on the northern edge of the Addicks Reservoir area. The park is owned by Harris County and IS a public area. The rest of the Addicks Reservoir is controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers, which built the dam and maintains the area behind it for flood control purposes. If somebody in a uniform tells me to get off the military's property, I would do as he says.

Yes, the reservoir is controlled by the ACE, but that is public land, and citizens are free to walk and explore in it. Their own web site even says so:

"In addition to the Reservoirs’ flood damage reduction mission, recreation and nature observation opportunities abound through the approximately 26,000 acres of land that makes up Addicks and Barker reservoirs. Large sections of the reservoirs remain undeveloped. The visitor is welcome to come and walk through the fields or along the streams and enjoy the many opportunities that Mother Nature has to offer."

Web site: http://www.swg.usace.army.mil/Addicks/

There are no people in Army uniforms patrolling the area to run hikers off. Scroll to the bottom to the large red box for the short list of prohibited activities, like camping and guns.

Houston Press tagged along with John for a Camp Logan hike: http://blogs.houston...morial_park.php

I'm getting too much credit for this activity. The news reporters actually tagged along with Louis Aulbach, who is the person who has done all the research on Camp Logan. I'm just a friend of Louis', and tagged along with him, just like the reporters. Louis is the expert on this subject, not me.

is there any information about Lamb road, I love the history behind street names, when I googled the street name it shows an area near the Fourth Ward of Houston (77019). Does that street near the 4th ward have anything to do with the Lamb road found in the Addicks area. Thanks for any info.

I'm getting too much credit for this activity. The news reporters actually tagged along with Louis Aulbach, who is the person who has done all the research on Camp Logan. I'm just a friend of Louis', and tagged along with him, just like the reporters. Louis is the expert on this subject, not me.

No problem, I just liked to see the connection. :)

Archived