What's your favorite Cajun/Creole food?

Niche has mentioned them a few times. Guess I need to go!

gilhooley's is definitely worth the drive. place was packed. had the everything gumbo (chicken shrimp sausage and oysters) and shared some shrimp bread, oysters, fried livers with others. great pricing.

DSCF0120.jpg

Edited by musicman

Thanks for posting the pic. I guess when they say 'everything' gumbo, that is the excuse for corn in the gumbo. :o Corn?

It looked good, though. Mmmm. Love the fried chix livers. Need to do a road trip.

P.S. did you get the cilantro beef at the 8s?

well.....i asked about the gumbo and she said "each batch is different." the 3 of us that ordered gumbo were all pleased. beer was ridiculously cheap either 1.5 or 1.75

i ended up getting the version with the pork and dried tofu.

well.....i asked about the gumbo and she said "each batch is different." the 3 of us that ordered gumbo were all pleased. beer was ridiculously cheap either 1.5 or 1.75

i ended up getting the version with the pork and dried tofu.

I agree with Crunch on the corn, but damn, that looks good! I've heard their fried oysters are 2di4.

Back on topic, I've always enjoyed Steamboat Bills in Lake Charles. (On I-10 as soon as you cross the big bridge). They serve pistelettes which are soft rolls, which are quick fried (think donut but not sweet), and then filled with either shrimp or crawfish etouffee.

Mmmm mmm good!

the boiling point in sulphur, la... exit 21 off of I-10. crawfish pitolettes... wow.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to tell you but that picture must be from some Texas Gumbo Version. I spent my whole life growing up in South Louisiana and have eaten many Gumbos.

Up until recent years you would never see a gumbo with the consistancy as in the picture. That is more like a stew or etouffee.Everyone thinks that Gumbo should be this thick mess and I can tell you that is not so.

In 11 years haven't found anyplace in Houston or surrounding suburbs that made really good cajun food. But Luckily I can just cook it myself.