Kitchen back splash suggestions

cougarider

You are no longer welcome in my kitchen. :angry:

Whoa! What a minute! ... I just asked to see pictures! So far, nothing. Until then... the text description sounded kinda trailer park, to me.

...and then rsb says that it is easier cleaning... since when was it a requirement to hose down backsplashes to clean them? It gets a little wet around the sink area... but what kind of cooking are you doing in your kitchen where you have to clean all the backsplashes?

Whoa! What a minute! ... I just asked to see pictures! So far, nothing. Until then... the text description sounded kinda trailer park, to me.

...and then rsb says that it is easier cleaning... since when was it a requirement to hose down backsplashes to clean them? It gets a little wet around the sink area... but what kind of cooking are you doing in your kitchen where you have to clean all the backsplashes?

Judge my kitchen for yourself.

I did this whole kitchen for $8k. That includes the appliances, flooring, paint, all new cabinetry, and fixtures. I'll bet you could drop $8k on a glass tile mosaic backsplash alone if you did it wrong. The stainless on the walls cost me around $150 and an afternoon of light labor.

That's all I was saying before.

post-6776-1231891891_thumb.jpg

post-6776-1231891899_thumb.jpg

post-6776-1231891908_thumb.jpg

BS - This is from the original post "I do need to put up a back splash because I'm getting oil slashes behind the oven."

Splashes from the stove are most likely grease. Grease is easier to clean on a flat, stainless surface that it would be in the grouting of tiles. Neither requires a hosing.

I'm not sure I really buy the rationale for backsplashes; at least not as how they are all the rage. I mean, it makes sense to me to provide a transition between the countertop and the wall surface so that the place the two planes meet is wipeable and not a collection site for detritus, but beyond that, I think they're primarily cosmetic rather than functional. We talk a good game about the functional merits of various kinds of counters and backsplashes and combos of the two, but I really doubt there's much practical difference for the average homeowner. One of my pet peeves lately is the notion that kitchen surfaces should be indestructable. Whatever you use will be out-of-style long before it's worn out anyway. So, my opinion is that you should install or not install whatever you think looks pretty.

I'm not sure I really buy the rationale for backsplashes; at least not as how they are all the rage. I mean, it makes sense to me to provide a transition between the countertop and the wall surface so that the place the two planes meet is wipeable and not a collection site for detritus, but beyond that, I think they're primarily cosmetic rather than functional. We talk a good game about the functional merits of various kinds of counters and backsplashes and combos of the two, but I really doubt there's much practical difference for the average homeowner. One of my pet peeves lately is the notion that kitchen surfaces should be indestructable. Whatever you use will be out-of-style long before it's worn out anyway. So, my opinion is that you should install or not install whatever you think looks pretty.

Agreed. I like the idea of some semblance of period correct in my house (1911). The granite counters and soapstone backsplash were crudely done by DIYers with leftover pieces, so I mainly want to un-do the ugly. When it comes to kitchens we're all screwed anyway; today's granite is yesterday's formica. If I had a modern house I'd do sheet metal for damn near everything.

Agreed. I like the idea of some semblance of period correct in my house (1911). The granite counters and soapstone backsplash were crudely done by DIYers with leftover pieces, so I mainly want to un-do the ugly. When it comes to kitchens we're all screwed anyway; today's granite is yesterday's formica. If I had a modern house I'd do sheet metal for damn near everything.

Ah, now I understand replacement of poorly installed granite. Check into the wood option and keep us informed. I'm interested to see what the wood options and costs are.

Glass tiles are available in a couple of thicknesses - 1/4" and 1/8". I used 1/8" glass tile from Walker Zanger in my kitchen. They are about half the price of the thicker ones. The only caution though is that the wall behind them has to be PERFECTLY flat and level. They come on a sheet (12x12) with a plastic coating on the front. Adhere the tiles to the wall, let dry and peel off the plastic. Then grout and you're finished!

Judge my kitchen for yourself.

I did this whole kitchen for $8k. That includes the appliances, flooring, paint, all new cabinetry, and fixtures. I'll bet you could drop $8k on a glass tile mosaic backsplash alone if you did it wrong. The stainless on the walls cost me around $150 and an afternoon of light labor.

That's all I was saying before.

post-6776-1231891891_thumb.jpg

post-6776-1231891899_thumb.jpg

post-6776-1231891908_thumb.jpg

WOW....that must be a double wide! :o:PB)

• 3 months later...

Archived