How can I find out which builder built my house in 1975?

uni2009

I'm new to this forum and I just read two posts regarding bad home builders. I start to think of my house. (Actually I am going to move in this house next month.) It was built in 1975. It has a flat roof. The previous owner apparently experienced leaking problems. I can not find out which builder built this house on any documentation. Could anyone tell me how I can find out this information? Thank you in advance!

Edited by uni2009

I'd also be interested in tracking down the builder of my 1980 home. I'd like to have a few words...

EDIT: If you look at the deed restrictions... there may be some reference in there. In mine, there is reference to "Friendswood Development Company" ... but they sub contracted the work to who knows TBD builder...

Edited by BryanS

I'm not sure if it is a good deal. :huh:This is the house.

The sold price is around $375K.

The elementary school is my primary concern while looking for a house. This house is zoned in WestU Elementary. :P

What do you think of this deal?

I love the extremely uninviting/private front elevation. My home is very similar... And I also bought it, because it was zoned for certain schools down here...

where is the flat roof part? Looks like you have sloped roofs, in many parts of the house...

The living room and the garage are on the front. They are covered by shingles/sloped roofs. The other parts of the house are covered by flat roof. According to the seller's disclosure notice, the flat roof is 3 years old.

is the flat part composition? if so you have a problem.

Could you please tell me more? Will it cause a lot of trouble in the future? Will it cost me a lot of money to fix it?

I'm not sure if the flat part is composition. I know from the seller that the flat roof is 3 years old. Here is the description from my inspection report:

Asphalt shingles inspected from the edge with a ladder.

Part of the roof is a gable/hip construction and was covered with laminated granule surface composition shingles. Roof material is fastened down with nails. This structure as viewed from the attic area indicated 2x6 rafters which spaced 24 inches on center with a major ridge of 2x8.

Shingles were intact and revealed no significant granule deterioration, missing, warping, cracking, loosing or other premature deterioration.

Part of roof (in bedroom area) is built-up roof, which is in good condition on the time of this inspection.

In the seller's disclosure notice, the seller checked "NO" for the following statement:

Is there an overlay roof covering on the property (shingles or roof covering placed over existing shingles or roof covering)?

Edited by uni2009

The living room and the garage are on the front. They are covered by shingles/sloped roofs. The other parts of the house are covered by flat roof. According to the seller's disclosure notice, the flat roof is 3 years old.

Minimum slope for a shingle roof is 3:12, although, I don't like less than 4:12. For a metal roof, 1:12.

Not sure why you need to contact or locate the builder. In my case, I don't what them any where near my home as I am having to correct a number of errors and problems they left for me. Those bast _ _ ds. Screwball.

For your flat roof... in the 50's, these used to be tar and gravel. And then 4-foot rolls of "sheet shingles" ... like tar paper, but one continuous roll of shingle looking roofing surface. Also used tar to seal areas around vent openings and other roof openings. That can leak. Problems and more problems with leaks.

I noticed... on a unit next door to the one I was looking to buy in Montrose, of a flat roofing surface called "duro-last." It appeared to finally be the solution for flat roofing... you may want to look into it. See attachment for info. A picture of the labeling on the roof, in the good unit.

post-5272-1231126790_thumb.jpg

Part of roof (in bedroom area) is built-up roof, which is in good condition on the time of this inspection.

The slope of this roof will tell you what you can do with it. If it is 1:12, or greater... you can do metal... If it is less than that... and "flat" ... then look for a duro-last like solution vs. tar, gravel, or sheet shingling.

Minimum slope for a shingle roof is 3:12, although, I don't like less than 4:12. For a metal roof, 1:12.

Not sure why you need to contact or locate the builder. In my case, I don't what them any where near my home as I am having to correct a number of errors and problems they left for me. Those bast _ _ ds. Screwball.

For your flat roof... in the 50's, these used to be tar and gravel. And then 4-foot rolls of "sheet shingles" ... like tar paper, but one continuous roll of shingle looking roofing surface. Also used tar to seal areas around vent openings and other roof openings. That can leak. Problems and more problems with leaks.

I noticed... on a unit next door to the one I was looking to buy in Montrose, of a flat roofing surface called "duro-last." It appeared to finally be the solution for flat roofing... you may want to look into it. See attachment for info. A picture of the labeling on the roof, in the good unit.

Thank you very much for the information! I will research on the "Duro-Last" roof this evening.

Thank you very much for the information! I will research on the "Duro-Last" roof this evening.

No problem. For the record, I'm not pushing duro-last - but that kind of roofing system (duro-last and its generic knock-offs), for flat roofs. The roof jacks and seams are "welded" / glued in such a fashion that appears to be much better than typical flat roofing material and appears to be much less conducive to leaking. Good luck.