Linux + wireless question

A quick question for those of you who are familiar with Ubuntu/Linux and wireless networking..

I am using a Netgear WG111v2 adapter and connecting to a 2WIRE wireless gateway with hex shared passkey.

It initially connects, but usually only around 50-60% (another computer right next to this one connects "excellent"), and it eventually will get kicked off.

Any clues?

• 3 weeks later...

I kind of figured there weren't too many folks using a linux-based OS, but just an update...

I upgraded to the latest release of ubuntu (8.10 - Intrepid Ibex) and the wireless has connected reliably without interruption, except that it is a very weak connection (~15%).

So it connects, but not well. Alas!

I've tried to get Linux/Ubuntu to connect wirelessly before.. but had little luck.. Linux would find the adapter card, but would not find my wireless AP.. tried many ways and never got it to connect.. sad.. went on to upgrade to XP unfortunately.. heh.. I was using win2K until about a year ago..

You should be able to select from three different transmission bands in the router configuration page. Try switching to one of the others. Its possible there's a lot of other routers near you interfering. One computer's wireless card may be handling the interference better than the other.

check the compatibility of that card with linux I believe it is one that has some compatibility issues especially depending on the chipset

it is USB correct....I have never found USB to be a good network connection in any OS of any type

if you google that device and ubuntu you will see a lot of discussion on it and some have had luck with a ndiswrapper

I would google for a highly compatible network card if you really need it rock solid

• 1 month later...

Eh, I've given it up. Since my last post I've stuck to the sloppy wired connection.

Now...does anyone know about video card drivers for Ubuntu? :)

That's the last of my Ubuntu issues, and there haven't been too many overall...definitely never going back to Windows or Mac...

Archived