What Are Your Favorite Airports?

Subdude

Someone's obviously not an aviation geek. ;)

Not an aviation geek, although I can appreciate the Air Show, loved going to the Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton when we lived in Ohio, and "The Right Stuff" is one of my favorite movies of all time. I'd love to go skydiving, and I've dreamed for years of taking a trip out to West Texas in a Cessna. Hell, I think flying over Houston in a small plane would be great.

Nothing against aviation per se, just not a fan of the commercial flight experience.

• 1 month later...

The thing that is really nice about Schiphol is that there is only 1 terminal, it feels like a small airport with a mall. I also like the Munich airport for the same reason.

Both have great access points to other forms of transit, trains and buses.

I think mostly, I end up hating airports that I have to transfer flights in, phoenix, denver, atlanta, detroit.

I am fond of john wayne airport in orange county, and the airport at palm springs is a treat if you are a fan of unique, most of the airport is open air.

I really don't like airports that you have to take those train things from concourse to terminal, but I guess that is the new, efficient way.

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the airports I have had a relatively good experience include Phoenix (PHX), Baltimore-Washington Int'l (BWI), New Orleans (MSY), Orlando (MCO), and Tampa (TPA).

Houston Intercontinental (IAH) is overall okay, but if you are changing planes there it is a pain in the ass, due to the strange layout. Atlanta (ATL) is insanly busy but at least I can find my way relatively quickly without going thru a maze.

O' Hare (ORD) sucks especially if you are changing planes from an international flight to a domestic one.

Washington Dulles (IAD) is horrible as well since you are forced to take these wierd mobile lounges to your concourse.

As far as hub airports go San Francisco (SFO), Cincinnati (CVG), Denver (DEN), Minneapolis (MSP) or Detroit (DTW) are pretty good as well.

Overall Denver, New Orleans, Tampa, and Phoenix rank high in my book because they offer free wi-fi service which is excellent. San Francisco, Minneapolis and Baltimore also offer excelent transit connections.

• The title was changed to What Are Your Favorite Airports?

Archived