A National Plea To Help Rebuild Galveston

editor

These have started popping up in bookstores here in Chicago, and I assume elsewhere across the country:

gallery_1_86_80694.jpg

gallery_1_86_92130.jpg

It's nice to see these, since Hurricane Ike got virtually ZERO play up here. I have yet to meet anyone in Chicago who even knows there was a hurricane in the Gulf this year.

That's great news for Galveston.

Hopefully it'll actually help them.

are they paperback?not that it matters, just curious.

Yeah, paperback. Those pics were taken about a week before Christmas. I'll swing by this morning and try to see if anyone's been buying them.

Thanks for mentioning this Ed; there have been book signings all over the area since it was released but I missed this completely. Signed copies are available directly from the Galveston Historical Foundation for $26.99 with 'all publisher profits' going to GHF.

I was down on the Island a week ago and very saddened by what I saw. I was without power so long I had not seen much of the destruction and I was surprised by what lingers - still piles of debris, shattered boats piled up, etc. It's really strange to see the inside of a 30 footer because it's been split completely in two. It looked to me like all the oleanders along Broadway were dead - a result of the salt water? I don't think I've ever seen Galveston so brown.

95% of the Strand was boarded up, one place just being hosed out on the interior. Many restaurants are still closed. The eeriest thing was the island was bathed in sunshine until I got to the Seawall; rounding the curve after coming off of Broadway I was enveloped in dense fog, so dense I couldn't see the water. There were drifts of sand along the roadway; I could see the pilings where the Balinese Room stood just barely. A car is perched on the deck of the Flagship, unable to exit because the ramp was collapsed; it's a wonder it wasn't blown or washed away. I could not see the hotel itself because of the fog.

It was very depressing and I didn't stay long. I had wanted to take some photos to document it just for myself but it would have been too much like pulling up on the scene of a traffic accident and instead of getting out and helping, pulling out a camera and taking pictures of the maimed and injured.

All of this contrasted with the liveliness of much of the city - traffic on Broadway was as heavy as I've ever seen it, Shrimp 'n Stuff was packed as was La Estacion.

Galveston will be back but not for a long time.

I'm ordering a copy of the book.

• The title was changed to A National Plea To Help Rebuild Galveston

Archived