Continental 1404 To Houston Crashes, Burns In Denver

editor

Here's a picture:

t1home.plane.air.kusa.jpg

Source: http://www.airlinecrew.net/vbulletin/showt...7911&page=2

They were moving at a good clip when this happened. It's not easy to rip off a planes' landing gear, an engine, and crack the plane in half like that. I would suspect the fire was caused by the impact vs. pre-impact, given the damage. I don't see any charring of the fuselage... not sure how accurate reports are of overhead "bins melted and dripping onto the seats." But who knows.

Great news nobody was killed... it could have been a lot worse. They are saying it could have been a problem with the breaking system... that's seems odd since they were in the process of taking off which is when I would think you don't use the breaks (unless you are aborting a take off)... but then again what do I know... I am not a pilot. :unsure:

Great news nobody was killed... it could have been a lot worse. They are saying it could have been a problem with the breaking system... that's seems odd since they were in the process of taking off which is when I would think you don't use the breaks (unless you are aborting a take off)... but then again what do I know... I am not a pilot. :unsure:

... and it looks like that may be what they were doing when the breaks acted up / failed.

260xStory.jpg

Looks like the nose wheel breaks went full brake, in the V1/V2 range (about to leave the ground). One minute you're barreling down the runway, then WHOA! - sharp turn! Even the pilots were probably saying: WTF?! Flying can be pretty scary sometimes...

• The title was changed to Continental 1404 To Houston Crashes, Burns In Denver

Archived