Houston Deco

dbigtex56

Just checked this out from the library:

Houston deco : modernistic architecture of the Texas coast / by Jim Parsons & David Bush ; foreword by Madeleine McDermott Hamm. 2008

Features many of HAIF's favorites here in Houston, along with others in Beaumont, Baytown, Galveston and surrounding communities.

The photographs are breathtaking; the photographer understands how to capture the essence of a building. Informative, as well - did you know that River Oaks Plaza was originally called really River Oaks Community Center? This book was published in conjunction with the GHPA, and contains the names of the architects and construction dates for both familiar and often overlooked local Deco gems.

If you've been good, ask Santa for a copy.

Yes - great book, and a great website.

I found it interesting that the Harvey R. Houck house, pictured on above website, was a metal framed (steel) structure. When it was demolished, it looked like a twisted mess. Judging from the outside, I always assumed it was concrete.

Fabulous guide book! I am glad to see that Webster High School made it into the index. Originally, it was not painted the creamy white color you see in the modern photo, but was of various colors (mostly red, with some black), based on the natural brick details/composition. It has wonderful heavy metal entry doors.

post-7359-1230018093.jpg

One listing which came as a revelation was Gibb's, the boat sales business at the northwest corner of Montrose and W. Gray.

Who knew? The original building was quite spectacular. Now, it's a monument to blandness, with only a couple of hints of its former glory still remaining.

Does it have the downtown Sears?

It has a large b/w Bob Bailey photo of the downtown Sears, similar to the ones posted here earlier, and a small color photo of its current metal-clad state from the same angle. Nice pics, but you've seen them here before. The Sears pics alone are not a reason to buy this book, but it does have lots of really good photos of little-known gems and a few recently demolished deco buildings (Coca-Cola plant, for example.) I recommend it very highly.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a notice in the Chron (this past Sunday's Zest section?) that the authors will be discussing this book at the Central Library - I think it's this coming Thursday 6-8PM, but can't find a reference at either chron.com or the library's website.

Edit: Found the following on HPL website:

1/15/2009 6:00 PM

Join HPL and ArCH (Architecture Center Houston) for a new series featuring authors from the local architecture scene. After the readings, there will be a reception with the author at ArCH. Please call 832-393-1313 for authors. Ages: Adults

and this (from the AIA Houston website):

01/15/2009 : THU : 6:00 PM

Authors in Architecture presents Houston Deco: Modernist Architecture of the Texas Coast

At: HPL Downtown and ArCH

A new collaborative series from The Houston Public Library and Architypes.

6pm (at HPL Downtown) David Bush and Jim Parsons speak and read from their book

7pm (at ArCH) book signing and reception with the authors

• 7 months later...

Has anyone noticed the nice Schlumberger bldg. located at 2718 or 2754 Leeland? That's a nice one, not as ornate as some, but has a nice entrance. There were other Schlumberger bldgs. on the land around there, one dated 1950. Looks like all has been taken down, except for this Art Deco one. Listed as built 1938, company name: Schlumberger Well Surveying Corpn. Grooming it for lofts, I guess. Chain-link fence around it. Guess the company outgrew this facility, expanded close by, in the 1950's, on the Gulf Frwy.

This one wasn't in that great Art Deco book.

Edited by NenaE