Houston In May

kzseattle

My parents would be visiting me in May. How is the weather in Houston that time of the year? I know, I know it is going to be hot and humid with mosquitoes. However, are there at least a few days when the temperature is in mid-70s and humidity is low when I can take them out? Speaking of which, it was a beautiful day today! I wish the entire months of April and May was like this. Speaking of April, wild flowers are in full bloom now. What is the best place near Houston (within 3 hours drive) where one can find those blue bonnets that you often see in Texan post cards? I assume it would be in the Hill Country. Is there a specific location in the Hill Country? In Washington, we used to go to Skagit Valley to see the Tulip Festival where the entire fields would have nothing but tulips!

kz, the entire month of April will probably be a lot like today. Maybe a few days close to 80 but no humidity to speak of on clear days. (yay!!!) May, at least the beginning, will be a lot like that, with temps beginning to climb in the low 80's which is still fabulous by Texas standards. Toward the end of May it will begin to get a bit more humid. You'll notice days in late May where it can tend to get a bit stifling but nothing you can't handle. We still get cool front patterns until about the first week of June and things suddenly start changing. All of a sudden the winds will shift and we no longer get anything from the north, but instead get tons of high pressure systems from the Gulf and from Mexico. With that comes humidity and rain and oppressive heat until about mid-October :lol:

As far as bluebonnets, they are coming up on their peak, so the next few weekends are a great time for a drive. I recommend that you go out 290 past Brenham, and go north on 1948 until you hit FM 390. I would take 390 all the way back to Independence, where the original ruins of the old Baylor University stand. It is incredibly beautiful up there. Then you can head south on 50 back to Brenham, cut over to 36 and cruise back north to Lake Somerville. Grab a map at the Texaco and you'll see how easy it is. If you need more info, here's some links. You'll see all sorts of flowers, including bluebonnets, indian paintbrush, indian blanket, pink evening primrose, verbena, lantana, yarrow, and more.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/wildseed/photoalbum.html Great to put a name to the flower.

http://www.lnstar.com/mall/txtrails/wildfl...s/sightings.htm Excellent source of info for wildflower sightings.

http://www.brenhamtexas.com/ Click on "Wildflower Watch". There is also a list of places to eat, etc.

http://www.wildflower.org/?nd=forecast The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, good info.

Have fun and enjoy your day in the bluebonnets! I wonder if any other state is as proud of their flowers as we Texans are. :D

Well KZ, I'm just as new as you when it comes to looking for the flowers, but I have lived here in the south my whole life. So I can tell you all about May weather. It will be in the high 70's in the morning and will quickly run up to the high 80's low 90's depending on the percipitation. Hummidity is at least 90% any given day also.

It might feel bad at the time, but just keep reminding yourself that July & August are still coming! :P

And yes, I wish every day was like today. I've been eyeballing KCM ever since that thread about shopping popped up.

Hey 27, I thought that, being from South and all, you would be used to the heat and humidity of this region. But you scare me the most about it! :P

I came to Houston for a couple of days in August before I moved here. It was actually quite pleasant. I am sure I got lucky. But that gives me hope that at least a few days here and days would be ok.

I am not sure I have mentioned it before but I have lived in Asia for a while and am familiar with heat and humidity to some extent. In places like Kuala Lumpur, it is hot and humid every single day of the year!

KCM, eh! I am sure it is nice and that shopping thread has surely changed the perception of that city for some of us. One would thing I would like to say though is that sometimes pictures dont tell the whole story. So I would check it out in person. I was reading about the project going in downtown KC. However, some of the things such as sports facilities, hotel and convention center have already happened in Houston DT. So Houston DT has already gone through the early phase. The main elements still missing in Houston are residential and retail developments. Hopefully, Pavilion would fix some of that. One thing that bothered me about the project planned for downtown KC is that the developer is the same company that did Bayou Place in Houston which unfortunately didn

I echo the sentiments shared by all here. I'm originally from Miami and can guarantee you that the average May day here in Houston isn't as hot or as humid as what you can come across in south and central Florida.

Still, expect highs to be anywhere between 83 - 93. Expect humidity to be in the upper 70s when high and no less than 60% at the lowest. Expect some run-through showers that'll cool things off for a couple of hours before it warms up again. Expect nice evening breezes, especially for the first two or three weeks. Expect muggy mornings that eventually become comfortable mornings before becoming fairly warm afternoons.

It'll pretty much be like how it is today except add about five degrees to your midday and evening temps. No biggie.

June, July, August and early September, however, are a different matter.

What is the best place near Houston (within 3 hours drive) where one can find those blue bonnets that you often see in Texan post cards? I assume it would be in the Hill Country. Is there a specific location in the Hill Country?

Can't comment on bluebonnets....but....the Azaleas and Dogwoods are blooming bigtime right now, and Nacogdoches is home to the largest Azalea garden in the state, but they'll pretty much just look like plain 'ol shrubs by the time May rolls around....and I think you might be facing the same issue with the BBs as well.

I came to Houston for a couple of days in August before I moved here. It was actually quite pleasant. I am sure I got lucky. But that gives me hope that at least a few days here and days would be ok.

if you're referring to last august, we had a few "cold fronts" (one in late july, and two in august and september i think) which pushed the humidity out and kept the highs in the low 80's. it was beautiful, and rare. and it kept all those hurricanes away!

as for may, i don't think it's that bad. but i enjoy the heat, the water, and i know july is coming so may feels nice.

average highs start at 83, then work there way up to 89 by the end of the month. with humidity increasing as well.

weather in may

check out wunderground.com as well for lots of details/averages.