Water Heater Building Codes Question

My water heater is close to 17 years old. I've heard that building codes will require a replacement to be 18" off the ground - does that apply to any replacement?

I ask because the utility room has a low ceiling by design. If I have to raise it 18" then it's going to be within 12" of the ceiling. Not sure how that makes any sense at all.

My water heater is close to 17 years old. I've heard that building codes will require a replacement to be 18" off the ground - does that apply to any replacement?

I ask because the utility room has a low ceiling by design. If I have to raise it 18" then it's going to be within 12" of the ceiling. Not sure how that makes any sense at all.

Gas or electric? I ask because I believe it only applies to gas or at least used to. It does apply for replacement. If you were to sell or rent your place they would probably make you do it. The spacing at the top is not important if vented properly. Make sure it's a double wall vent. (Also required by code.)

Edited by LunaticFringe

It only has to be raised if it's in a garage.

flipper

ps. It's because gas vapors hang out near the floor. And well, sometimes there's gas in the garage and whatnot.

I have had two different inspectors make me raise them in utility rooms inside the house.

I have had two different inspectors make me raise them in utility rooms inside the house.

12" from combustibles is acceptable, any closer than that and an inspector will want fire protection on the combustibles (ie: sheetrock, metal flashing... )

I thought it was only in the garage that they wanted it off the ground. They are always changing things, so who knows.

If you ever have code questions, you can always call down to the city planning and engineering department and ask to speak to a plumbing inspector. They will answer questions like this.